It is no longer required to visit RTO to renew your driving license and for 18 other services. On March 4, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) unveiled a contactless service focused on Aadhaar authentication for its residents.
The MoRTH announced " Certain services regarding Driving License and Certificate of Registration have been made completely online. Now, these services can be availed without going to RTO. With Aadhaar authentication, on a voluntary basis, anyone can get the benefit of these contactless services," in the notification.
Aadhaar Authentication is the process of submitting an Aadhaar number, along with demographic or biometric information, to the Central Identities Data Repository (CIDR) for verification, and the CIDR verifies the correctness, or lack thereof, based on the information available.
Certain services regarding Driving License and Certificate of Registration have been made completely online. Now these services can be availed without going to RTO. With Aadhaar authentication, on voluntary basis, anyone can get the benefit of these contactless services. pic.twitter.com/UBBvbbsGfG— MORTHINDIA (@MORTHIndia) March 4, 2021
The development comes after the Union government released a proposed notification linking a driver's licence and a registration certificate to the 12-digit unique identification number given to every Indian citizen.
There will be a total of 18 facilities covered. The new framework, according to the ministry, would "simplify government delivery processes while also bringing accountability and quality."
These are the 18 services that can be done using Aadhaar authentication:
1. Learner's licence
2. Renewal of driving licence for which test of competence to drive is not required
3. Duplicate driving licence
4. Change of address in driving licence and certificate of registration
5. Issue of international driving permit
6. Surrender of a class of vehicle from licence
7. Application for temporary registration of the motor vehicle
8. Application for registration of the motor vehicle with a fully built body
9. Application for issue of duplicate certificate of registration
10. Application for grant of NOC for a certificate of registration
11. Notice of transfer of ownership of the motor vehicle
12. Application for transfer of ownership of the motor vehicle
13. Intimation of change of address in the certificate of registration
14. Application for registration for driver training from the accredited driver training centre
15. Application for registration of motor vehicle of a diplomatic officer
16. Application for assignment of fresh registration mark of a motor vehicle of a diplomatic officer
17. Endorsement of hire-purchase agreement
18. Termination of hire-purchase agreement