The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has ordered to use the Aadhaar number for authentication purposes to avail contactless service in the transport sector.
The Ministry believes that it is difficult for individuals to use different services related to driving licenses and registration certificates, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. Because of the above, Ministry has decided to provide certain services online with the help of Aadhaar number.
The identification of Aadhaar will assist the government to root out false certificates and more than one driving license kept by individuals in India that are significant hindrances to road safety.
Aadhaar authentication means the process in which the Aadhaar Number is sent to the Central Identity Data Repository (CIDR) for verification, along with other characteristics, including biometrics, based on information or data or documentation available with it.
Aadhaar authentication gives many ways to authenticate an Aadhaar holder using the system.
"Any individual desirous of availing various contactless services through the portal is required to undergo Aadhaar authentication. Provided that till the time Aadhaar is assigned to an individual, benefits of contactless services shall be given to such individual, subject to the production of Aadhaar enrolment ID slip," according to a draft order.
Aadhaar Authentication to Avail these 15 Contact Less Service:
1. Learner's License
2. Renewal of Driving License
3. Duplicate Driving License
4. Change of Address in Driving License and Certificate of Registration
5. Issue of International Driving Permit
6. Surrender of Class of Vehicle from License
7. Application for Temporary Registration of motor vehicle
8. Application for Registration of motor vehicle with a fully built body
9. Application for issue of duplicate Certificate of Registration
10. Application for Grant of NOC for Certificate of Registration
11. Notice of Transfer of Ownership of the motor vehicle
12. Application for Transfer of Ownership of the motor vehicle
13. Intimation of Change of Address in Certificate of Registration
14. Application for registration for driver training from Accredited
15. Application for registration of motor vehicle of Diplomatic Officer
In order to provide people with simple and hassle-free services, the Ministry will make all the requisite arrangements to make people aware of Aadhaar's specifications for the use of contactless services via implementing agencies.