The National Pension Scheme (NPS) is a long-term retirement investment option overseen by the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA). The major objective of this voluntary initiative is to assure your financial stability once you retire. The objective of asset Allocation of this scheme is to assist you in making an investment strategy that reduces risk along with maximising returns based on the market volatility of equity. The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority has recently announced numerous significant changes to the National Pension System (NPS) which includes exit and withdrawal procedures. Here we will discuss the 4 major changes in NPS made by PFRDA recently:
Complete or full withdrawal from NPS
If the pension corpus is equal to or less than Rs 5 lakh, the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) has recently enabled National Pension System (NPS) contributors to withdraw the whole contributions at once without buying an annuity. This implies that if the pension fund is up to Rs 5 lakh, customers can withdraw the full amount at once. Beneficiaries can currently withdraw up to Rs 2 lakh from their NPS account. Pensioners can withdraw up to 60% of their contributions over this threshold. According to the present law, at least 40% of contributions must be kept for purchasing annuities. Withdrawal is permitted only for specific purposes such as higher education or marriage for children, marriage, purchase of a residential property, and treatment of serious diseases. Subscribers can initiate a partial withdrawal up to three times throughout the term of their NPS subscription.
Continuation of NPS account after 60 years of age
The National Pension System (NPS) is a pension scheme in which you must invest until the age of 60 or till retirement age. However, if the subscriber wishes to remain in the NPS and contribute towards his or her account after reaching the age of 60 or the age of superannuation, he or she may do so by submitting a written application. However, the subscriber can contribute to his or her own pension account until the age of 70. The subscriber will have the same investment options as those under the age of 60, and the same exit conditions will apply. The subscriber can also postpone the annuity payout for three years from the time you quit the scheme. This option must be implemented at least 15 days before the age of achieving 60 years of superannuation, whichever comes first. Individual pension account, Permanent Retirement Account, maintenance charges and other charges payable under the NPS in respect of the aforementioned credentials shall, however, continue to be the same in such circumstances and will be applicable to the responsible subscriber.
Extension of NPS account
You will remain enrolled in the NPS until you reach the required age to purchase an annuity purchase if your accumulated pension wealth exceeds Rs 2.5 lakh or a threshold imposed by the Authority, but your age is less than the initial age mandated for buying or acquiring an annuity. In such circumstances, if your cumulative pension corpus is equal to or less than Rs 2.5 lakh, you would be enabled to withdraw the whole accumulated pension corpus without having to purchase an annuity. In case you reach the age of 60, at least 40% of your accumulated pension wealth must be used to purchase an annuity to get a monthly pension, whereas the outstanding accumulated pension corpus after such use will be granted to you as a lump sum.
Option to defer annuity
According to the PFRDA exit rules for National Pension System (NPS) subscribers, upon achieving the retirement age or 60 years - a subscriber is entitled to mandatorily annuitize at least 40% of the pension wealth and the remaining 60% can be withdrawn as a lump sum. Currently, the subscriber can postpone the withdrawal of the permissible lump sum withdrawal (60 per cent) upon exit until he or she reaches the age of 70. PFRDA has authorised the "Deferment option" for the annuity purchase at the time of withdrawal from NPS, with the provision that such postponement can be made for a maximum of three years. By submitting an application or notice to the Central Record Keeping Agency, one can begin the annuity purchase option at any time before the lapse of three years from the date of such deferment. That being said, the subscriber must notify the National Pension System Trust or the Central Record Keeping Agency of his or her purpose to do so in writing in the defined form at least 15 days before reaching the age of 60 or the age of superannuation, whichever comes first.