Investments up to Rs 50,000 in these stocks are eligible for tax benefit under section 80 CCG.
It's important to remember that the scheme has a designated 100 stocks, which are the top 100 companies stocks listed on the bourses and includes maharatnas and mutual funds.
It's important to remember that while you will get tax benefits, you are still exposed to the risk of investing in equities.
You can pick from a list of listed stocks from four categories: CNX 100, BSE 100, Maharatna and Navaratna & ETFs
Eligible securities include:
Equity shares falling in the list of securities declared as "BSE-100" or " CNX-100".
1. Equity shares of public sector enterprises which are categorised as Maharatna, Navratna or Miniratna by the Central Government.
2. Units of Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) or Mutual Fund (MF) schemes which have securities eligible under Rajiv Gandhi Equity Savings Scheme (RGESS) as underlying, provided they are listed and traded on a stock exchange and settled through a depository mechanism.
3. Follow on Public Offer of eligible securities.
4. New Fund Offers (NFOs) of eligible ETF's and mutual funds.
Click for list of mutual funds offering the scheme.
Here is the list of stocks eligible under RGESS.
One can look at the BSE 100 stock list for investment also.
Bharat Electronics Limited
2. Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited
3. Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
4. Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited
5. Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited
6. National Aluminium Company Limited
7. NMDC Limited
8. Neyveli Lignite Corporation Limited
9. Oil India Limited
10. Power Finance Corporation Limited
11. Power Grid Corporation of India Limited
12. Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited
13. Rural Electrification Corporation Limited
14. Shipping Corporation of India Limited
Click for the list of Miniratans category I & II