Special Tax Benefits for the Disabled under Section 80U

Subscribe to GoodReturns

Having a disability could be quite a setback for many. But did you know, the Income Tax Act, has provisions to take care of such disabled? Here is Section 80U, which offers special benefits to those tax assesses who suffer a disability. Read on to find out more about this section.

What Does Section 80U Offer?

Section 80U is very similar to Section 80DD( which offers tax benefits if the assessee has disabled dependents) in terms of the provisions it has. The main difference lies in the fact that this benefit could be claimed only if the assessee himself is suffering a disability.

Eligible Assesses

Resident Indians suffering a disability themselves. NRIs and HUFs are not eligible for a deduction under this section.

Deduction Limit

The available deduction limit is Rs. 50,000. For severe disabilities the available deduction limit is Rs. 75,000. This deduction amount is a lump-sum one, irrespective of how much you spend on medical treatment.

Documents Required

To avail a deduction under Section 80U, no bills or receipts are required. What is required is a valid certificate from a medical authority certifying the disability. Separate forms need to be filled for mental illnesses and all other disabilities. For illnesses such as autism or cerebral palsy form number 10-IA additionally needs to be filled.

What is considered as disability?

A disabled person is one suffering from not less than 40% of any of the below disabilities. 80% or more of one or more of the below disabilities is considered as a severe disability. The following are included as a disability under this section.


-Low vision


-Hearing impairment

-Locomotor disability

-Mental retardation

-Mental illness

Other Key Points to Keep in Mind

1) Deduction could be claimed even for the year in which the certificate expires. Beyond this year, no deduction could be obtained till the certificate is renewed or a new one is obtained.

2) The medical authorities who are deemed to certify are:

-A Neurologist with an MD in Neurology.

-For children, a Paediatric Neurologist having an equivalent degree.

-A Civil Surgeon or Chief Medical Officer (CMO) of a government hospital.

Courtesy: InvestmentYogi

Story first published: Friday, February 18, 2011, 14:00 [IST]
Please Wait while comments are loading...
Company Search
Enter the first few characters of the company's name or the NSE symbol or BSE code and click 'Go'