For those who do not pay their taxes online, it's important that while filling up your physical tax challan to be careful. Here are a few things that you should cross check:
1) Head of payment eg. Corporation Tax/Income Tax
2) Amount and mode of payment of tax
3) Type of payment [Advance tax/Self assessment/Regular/Tax on Dividend]
4) Assessment year
5) The unique identification number called PAN [Permanent Account Number] allotted by the IT Department.
6) After the payment of tax is made through the challan, one should preserve the challan which was stamped by the bank collecting the amount.
Individuals should ensure that the bank stamp contains BSR [Bankers Serial number code], Challan Identification Number [CIN], and the date of payment.
How would I know if the Government has received the amount deposited by me as taxes in the bank?
The NSDL website (http://www.tin-nsdl.com) provides online services called Challan Status Enquiry. You can also see your tax pass book, an online tax credit viewing facility in the same website. To read how to view your tax credit online please click here
Please remember that you should pay your taxes in time, to give you adequate time to resolve matters like rectification in the IT returns, solve issues relating to non credit of TDS deducted etc.
The last date for filing tax returns is July 31, 2014 for assessment year 2014-2015 and financial year 2013-2014. Last year the income tax department had extended the lat day for payment of tax returns and hopefully this year as well it may do the same.