Upon e-filing the Income Tax Return (ITR) whether offline or online it is an important task to check or verify your Income Tax Return. As a consequence, a taxpayer can authenticate his or her Income Tax Return using a Digital Signature Certificate (DSC), Aadhaar OTP, EVC using Prevalidated Bank Account Details, and EVC using Prevalidated Demat Account Details. However, taxpayers who do not wish to e-verify their Income Tax Returns must send a signed ITR-V to "Centralized Processing Center, Income Tax Department, Bengaluru - 560500" through regular or speed post within 120 days from the date of filing.
This signifies that the filed ITR should be e-Verified later using the 'My Account > e-Verify Return' option online, or the verified ITR-V should be forwarded to CPC, Bengaluru. Unverified ITRs are not regarded legitimate and will not be processed by the department, according to income tax regulations and additionally, if you are eligible for an income tax refund, you are required to verify your ITR by sending it to the Income Tax Department and upon successful verification by the department, the applicable refund amount will be granted. As the tax department allows a time frame of 120 days, you must ensure that your ITR-V is received by the income tax department in a timely manner. Here's how you can check or verify the status of ITR-V on the new income tax portal.
Steps to verify ITR-V receipt status online
- Visit https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal and under the 'Our Services' section click on 'Income Tax Return (ITR) Status'.
- Now you will be redirected to this page https://eportal.incometax.gov.in/iec/foservices/#/pre-login/itrStatus where you need to enter the acknowledgment number and registered mobile number.
- Click on 'Continue' and you will get a one-time password (OTP) on your registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP and click on 'Submit' for verification.
- Upon successful verification of the submitted OTP, you can track the status of your ITR submitted and the status will be displayed as 'ITR verified' if your ITR-V has been reviewed and verified by the Income Tax Department.
- If the ITR-V has not yet been reviewed and verified by the tax department, the status will be displayed as 'Pending for e-verification.'
- Furthermore, you will get a confirmation email or SMS once the ITR-V has been acknowledged by the Income Tax Department.
- Only once your ITR has been approved, it will be processed further by the department and an intimation notice under section 143(1) will be issued on behalf of you once the ITR has been effectively verified.
Points to note while sending a signed ITR-V to the Income Tax Department
There are a few things to keep in mind which are as follows while sending a signed ITR-V to the Income Tax Department.
- The print-out of the ITR-V must be filled and signed out completely in blue ink only and it must be sent through normal or speed post to the tax department.
- The bar code, as well as the numbers specified in the ITR-V form, should be clearly visible hence do not write anything over it.
- Multiple ITR-V can be sent to the department at a time, hence you can send more than one ITR-V form if any.
- The signature on your ITR V should be the same as the signature on your PAN Card.
- ITR-Vs submitted by courier will be rejected, and despite the fact that it is an official document, do not write anything on the front or backside of the form.
- There are no additional documents required to send with the ITR-V, but make sure that you have printed it out before sending it.