Here are few interesting facts about the Union Budget.
1. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru was first Prime Minister who presented the Union Budget in 1958-59.
2. Union Budget 1973-74 is known as 'Black Budget' of India as budget deficit rose to Rs 550 crore.
3. C D Deshmukh was the first Indian governor of the Reserve Bank of India to have presented the Interim Budget 1951-52.
4. Jawaharlal Nehru, Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi are the only Prime Ministers who presented Budget.
5. The first interim Budget was presented by R K Shanmukham Chetty.
6. P Chidambaram presented a Budget in the year 1997-98 that was termed as 'Dream Budget'.
7. Union Budget comes into effect from April 1.
8. Morarji Desai has presented maximum number of Budget so far that is 10. They included five annual and one interim budgets during his first stint and three final and one interim in the second tenure when he was both Finance Minister and Deputy Prime Minister.
9. Morarji Desai was the only Finance Minister to present two budgets on his birthday - in 1964 and 1968 on February 29.
10. The Union Budget is always presented in Lok Sabha first.
11. Indira Gandhi was only woman Finance Minister who took over the Finance portfolio from 1970 to 1971.
12. India has had 25 Finance Ministers since 1947.