For Quick Alerts
ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS  
For Daily Alerts

Investment Limit And Bank Charges For National Pension Scheme Account

|

Recently the relaxation allowed in respect of partial withdrawals as well as increased tax benefits further makes the retirement saving tool or NPS (national pension scheme) account more attractive for investors. The account was launched originally to provide pension benefit to government employees who joined service after December 31, 2003, but was later offered from May 2009 to the general public aged between 18 and 60 years.

Here we will discuss how much NPS subscriber can invest in the product as well as charges levied by different banks:

Investment
 

Investment

In the scheme, subscriber invests a portion of his or her salary towards their NPS account. The account can be opened with a minimum amount of Rs. 500 or Rs. 1000 annually. The account matures once the employee retires on attaining 60 years of age.

Further, upon maturity the proceeds from NPS account are divided into two components i.e. minimum 40% has to be invested within 3 years in an annuity plan of an insurance company regulated by the IRDAI to get monthly pension amount. And the remaining 60% of the retirement corpus can be withdrawn immediately which is tax-free or may be deferred till 70 years of age.

NPS account opening and transaction charges in different banks

NPS account opening and transaction charges in different banks

NPS account is regulated by pension fund regulatory body Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) and it allows operation of the NPS account both online as well as offline. A customer can open the account online by visiting the NSDL site.

Procedure to open NPS account offline
 

Procedure to open NPS account offline

For manual or offline opening of the NPS account, you need to check for the nearest Point of Presence (PoP) terminal that allows NPS account opening, which may be a bank branch also. Once the suitable PoP point is traced, you need to fill in the NPS account opening form and submit it along with the KYC documents such as your aadhaar, PAN card, passport, voter ID, address proof and passport size photograph.

And after the NPS account is opened, the bank will hand over to you a ‘welcome kit' which contains the unique PRAN or Permanent Retirement Account Number card. Ensure to keep it safe as the card will allow you to identify and access your NPS account. Also for operating the account, the customer will be given a Telephone Password ("TPIN") and Internet Password ("IPIN").

Bank charges for NPS registration and operation

Bank charges for NPS registration and operation

Some of the major banks including HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, SBI and Axis Bank among others offer the facility but at a cost. Saying this we mean there are charges levied for both NPS account registration as well as for doing transactions in the account. Let us know such charges:

NPS registration or account opening charges: Lenders including HDFC Bank, Axis Bank, ICICI Bank and SBI charge Rs. 200 each as registration charges from subscribers. Additionally, all of these banks charge a minimum of Rs. 20 and maximum Rs. 25,000, which is some 0.25% of the contribution amount towards NPS, from every subscriber.

For other non-financial transactions: Such transactions are those that do not involve a contribution from the subscriber, each of these bank charge Rs. 20 per subscriber.

Maintenance charges: For maintenance or persistence of the account, these banks charge Rs. 50 on an annual basis.

Subsequent contribution charges: For subsequent contribution towards the account, SBI charges another minimum Rs. 20 and maximum Rs. 25,000, which reflects the total contribution amount per transaction per subscriber. There are no such charges in case of Axis Bank and ICICI Bank while HDFC bank levies 0.10% of the total contribution amount, which can range between minimum Rs. 10 and maximum Rs. 10,000.

GoodReturns.in

Read more about: nps pension pfrda
Story first published: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 13:20 [IST]
Company Search
Get Instant News Updates
Enable
x
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Done
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Goodreturns sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Goodreturns website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more