How to claim payment for a deceased account from post office saving schemes?

Posted By:
Subscribe to GoodReturns

How to claim payment for a deceased account from post office saving schemes?
Several Post office Saving Accounts are long term in nature. Some of these include the Public Provident Fund (PPF), which extends up to 15 years and National Saving certificates (NSC) (for six years) and so on.

It's highly possible that the holder of some of the post office saving schemes passes away or is dead when the accounts are in force. In such cases, the legal heir must make a claim and get the proceeds that were in the account of the deceased.

How to make a claim?

The Post Office has a prescribed form for making claims. Read more on Post Office Saving Schemes and its type here

The form very clearly states the documents that are to be submitted and the things that are required. Here are a few things that maybe essential to make your job easier.

1) Death Certificate

2) Succession Certificate

3) Probate of will

4) Letters of Administration of Estate

Apart from the above mentioned, you have to attach the passbook. A guardianship certificate on behalf of the minor relatives of the deceased depositor (if the claimant is not a guardian under the law applicable to him).

Your job is made easy if there is a nomination to the account. But, if there is no nomination than the matter could get worse, if there is no succession certificate or probate of Will either.

Nomination always makes the job easier....

If there is no nomination, any one of the legal heirs can make the claim in the specified form. However, consent of all other legal heirs are required in this case.


Sometimes dealing with the Post Office officials can sap your energy and can be time consuming at the same time. If you are reading this, the best thing that you could give your near and dear ones is a proper nomination. Ensure that you have a nomination in place not only for your post office schemes, but, also for most of your other financial saving instruments.

Read more about: post office, deceased, ppf, nsc
Company Search
Enter the first few characters of the company's name or the NSE symbol or BSE code and click 'Go'


Get Latest News alerts from Goodreturns