Not Received Income Tax Refund Due to Change in Address? Here’s What you Should Do

Subscribe to GoodReturns
For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts

    Individuals normally change their residential address without notifying the income tax authorities. Often at the time of filing the income tax returns individuals do not update their residential address.

    Not Received Income Tax Refund Due to Change in Address? What you Should Do?
    When the refund is issued and sent to the address of the individual, the cheque is returned to the authorities in Mumbai. It's therefore important to notify of the change in address.

    What you should do to receive an income tax refund at new address?

    You have to contact your assessing officer and intimate him of the change in the residential address. Once he is notified you can make another request for a refund if your refund cheque has not been sent to the new address.
    Once he has notified the change apply online for your refund again.

    ECS still not being implemented

    The concept of ECS credit of income tax refund is still not being completely implemented. What this means is that in case you have changed your address, the refund which is normally sent by speedpost, comes undelivered. This is a big hassle and it's still now clear why the refund process is not being done through ECS, NEFT or RTGS.
    In fact, individuals in big cities like Bengaluru are still receiving their income tax refunds through cheques. Some of them may also

    change their bank accounts which must be notified to the assessing officer.

    Also read What to do if TDS is deducted by employer but not deposited here


    It may be a tedious task to get your refund in case you change your address, but, you should be doing it in case the sum is rather large. It's best to check the address at the time of filing returns, although you could have changed the address after filing your address. In any case you should get in touch with your assessing officer to complete the necessary formalities.

    Read more about: income tax
    Story first published: Saturday, January 3, 2015, 9:51 [IST]
    Company Search
    Enter the first few characters of the company's name or the NSE symbol or BSE code and click 'Go'

    Find IFSC

    Get Latest News alerts from Goodreturns

    Notification Settings X
    Time Settings
    Clear Notification X
    Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
    Settings X
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Goodreturns sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Goodreturns website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more