Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) completed its first anniversary on August 28, 2015.
The scheme was announced by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 15th August 2014 and Mega launch was done by him on 28th August 2014 across the country.
The scheme was launched with an aim to provide 'universal access to banking facilities' starting with "Basic Saving Bank Account" with an overdraft upto Rs 5000 and RuPay Debit card with inbuilt accident insurance cover of Rs1 lakh.
Here are 8 Milestones achieved under PMJDY in first year
1. Banks have opened 17.74 Crore accounts under PMJDY with deposit of more than 22000crores.
2. Aadhaar has been seeded in 41.82% of account opened under PMJDY.
3. To ensure universal banking access more than 1.26 lakhs Bank Mitras have been deployed with on- line devices capable of e-KYC based account opening and interoperable payment facility.
4. Mega Financial Literacy camps (131012) were organized by banks under PMJDY, to spread awareness on PMJDY, use of RuPay cards etc.
5. More than 10 lakhs accounts have been found eligible for Overdraft facility. Out of these overdraft facility has been availed by 164962 account holders.
6. Total number of 847 Claims of Life cover of Rs 30000 and 389 Claims of accident insurance cover of Rs 1 lakh have been successfully paid.
7. As on 22nd August, 2015, 8.17 crore beneficiaries have been enrolled under the Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana and 2.76 crore have been enrolled under Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana.6.83 lakh account holders have been enrolled under Atal Pension Yojana.
8. Zero balance accounts in PMJDY have declined from 76% to 45.74% from September 2014 to 19th August 2015