Form 26AS enables individuals to view all financial transactions involving TDS and TCS during the financial year.
Form 26AS also known as tax credit statement helps individuals in computation of income at the time of filing of return of income.
There are three ways through which you can view your tax credit statement.
One can login through net banking and check their tax credit or through income tax site or by login through TRACES.
View of Tax Credit Statement (Form 26AS) is available only if the PAN is mapped to that particular account.
Here are simple steps to download form26AS
- Visit Income tax site
- Login using user IT and Password.
- Go to "My Account" in home-page
- Select the sub-section "view tax credit statement(FormAS26)"
- You will be redirected to NSDL site once you confirm
- Click on bottom which says "View Form 26AS "
- Once you visit, select the assessment year and the format.
- Select PDF or Text from the view as menu
- Click on view and download
Note that to open the doc file, use your date of birth as password.
Any kind of discrepancy in the tax credit statement, one can always contact the tax authorities or respective bank for rectification.
Nowadays it is extremely important to view your Form 26AS and file your tax returns. This is because if your income tax returns income and tax deduction details do not tally with the one on the income tax website of the government, which is mentioned in the 26AS, chances are that your returns could have queries from the tax authorities. Know more
This may lead to additional claims or your refund being delayed. It is therefore imperative to check and download the Form 26AS before you file your income tax returns.