Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) in 2014. It is National Mission for Financial Inclusion to ensure access to financial services, namely, Banking, Savings and Deposit Accounts, etc. Under this scheme, an account can be opened in any bank branch or Business Correspondent outlet.
Who can open an account?
Know who can open an account under PMJDY Scheme:
- An individual with Indian nationality can open an account under PMJDY Scheme.
- Minor above 10 years of age can initiate an account in this scheme. His or her guardian can manage the account along with the minor.
- An individual who has any identity proof authorized by any gazetted officer can open the account under PMJDY.
How to open a Jan Dhan Yojana Account?
- Check the list of banks which are authorized to open accounts under Jan Dhan Yojana Scheme and visit the bank or financial institutions.
- Officials working under Jan Dhan Yojana Scheme are called Bank Mitr. You have to visit the Bank Mitr in banks or the designated institution.
- Bank Mitr will provide you the account opening forms. You have to fill this form for opening an account under Jan Dhan Yojana. The form should be submitted with valid official id proof.
In the form, the applicant have to fill the following details including:
- Where the account is being opened
- Name of the Bank Branch
- Name of the applicant's Village or Town
- Sub District or Block Name
- District, State, SSA Code or Ward Number
- Village Code or Town Code
- Full Name
- Marital Status
- Name of Father/Spouse
- Address and pin code
- Telephone and Mobiel No
- Aadhar Number
- MNREGA Job Card Number
- Occupation/Profession and annual income
- Number of dependents and asset details
- Existing Bank Account Number if any
- Kisan Credit Card Details
- Name of Nominee
- Date of Birth of Nominee in case of minor
- Person authorized to receive funds in the event of minor nominee's death
ID proofs needed
If you have an aadhaar number, then you don't need to produce any other documents to open the account. If aadhaar card is not there following documents can be submitted:
NREGA Card (Mahatma Gandhi Rural Employment Guarantee Act)
Features and benefits of PMJDY
- Jan Dhan Account holders will get a RuPay debit card which can be used to withdraw money from the account and purchases.
- Maximum two Members of a family can apply for a zero balance account under PM Jan Dhan Yojana.
- Deposit and withdrawal of money under PMJDY is for free.
- Funds can be transferred for free without any charges.
- The account also comes with mobile banking facility, free of any charges.
- Overdraft facility up to Rs 5000 is available in only one account per household, preferably lady of the household.
- Free life cover of Rs 30,000 along with an accidental cover of Rs 1 lakh per account.