The public provident fund (PPF) is one long-term investment option that would suit investors of all types. Safety, returns and tax benefits make PPF a good option for investors.
Being government-backed PPF investment makes your investment secure. Loan options and a low maintenance cost are additional bonus
Apart from public and private banks, you can open a PPF account in all the post offices. Know how you can get opened for yourself PPF in the post office.
Know who are eligible to open a PPF account.
- Any individual whether salaried, pensioner, Self Employed or any other category can apply for PPF account in the post office.
- One person can have only one PPF account. If you opened two accounts, it would lead to the closure of the second account, and the principal amount will be refunded not the interest.
- Minors can open PPF account. Their father or mother can open the account on behalf of them. Both father and mother cannot open the account for the same minor, only one of them should be involved. After the death of the parents, minor can not continue the account, and the deposited money will be refunded to them.
- NRI or Non-Resident Indian are not liable to have a PPF account. If while residing in India one has open an account, if they became an NRI after then he or she can continue the account for 15 years.
There are very few documents required for opening of PPF account. Here is the list of documents you would need to open a PPF in Post Office.
Documents required for PPF in Post Office:
Two latest passport size photographs
Proof of address
Proof of Identity
Deposit amount (minimum Rs 100)
As you can see, there are only a few prerequisites for opening PPF in the post office. All you need to do is walk up to any of your post offices in the locality and meet the concerned official.
The procedure of getting PPF account in Post Offices.
- Locate the nearest head post office or sub-post office and walk up there.
- Meet the concerned official and fill up the requisite form for PPF account opening. You can also download the form from internet.
- Affix your Passport Photograph on the space provided on the form and cross sign it accordingly.
- Attach photo copy of the required documents along with the form and submit it to the post office executive along with your deposit money.
From 1.04.2017, interest rates of PPF account are 7.9% per annum (compounded yearly). The minimum amount for the opening account is Rs 100. A minimum of Rs 500 and Rs 1,50,000 can be deposited as the maximum in a financial year.
Important Instructions for Opening of PPF Account.
- Only one person can open a PPF account in his or her own name. There is no provision for joint account in PPF.
- The account holder can nominate others for the PPF account. The maximum number of people can be nominated for a PPF account is four.
- If the depositor of the account is an adult, a PPF account for a minor is also possible.
- The maturity period for PPF account is 15 years. If the account holder wishes to extend the term of the account, he or she can extend it. The tenure will be a multiple of 5 years.
- You can't withdraw your PPF account prematurely before the start of 7th year of the account.
- PPF account holders can take the loan against PPF during the start of the 3rd year.
PPF deposits in post offices qualify for deduction from income under Sec. 80C of IT Act. For someone who does not wish to open a PPF account in Post Office can get an account in any of the leading banks like SBI, PNB, HDFC, etc.