The Income Tax Department has made the PAN linking with Aadhaar mandatory. After the announcement, it was reported that taxpayers were finding it difficult as their names did not match in both systems like names with initials in one and expanded initials in another, etc. Responding to such grievances, the Department has come out with a simple solution now.
The deadline to link PAN with Aadhaar has been extended to 31 December 2019.
How to link PAN with Aadhaar?
The Income Tax Department has made it easy for taxpayers to link their PAN with Aadhaar. You need to do the following,
- Open the official website of IT department www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Click on the link on the left pane Link Aadhaar. You will get a new window.
- Provide PAN, Aadhaar no. And enter your name exactly as given in your Aadhaar card. Cross check for spelling mistakes and submit.
- After verification from UIDAI, the linking will be confirmed.
In the case of any minor mismatch in Aadhaar name provided by you when compared to the actual data in Aadhaar, One Time Password (Aadhaar OTP) will be sent to the mobile registered with Aadhaar which has to be provided. Please ensure that the date of birth and gender in PAN and Aadhaar are exactly same. There is no need to login or be registered on E-filing website. This facility can be used by anyone to link their Aadhaar with PAN.
Change in names
In a rare case where Aadhaar name is completely different from name in PAN, then the linking will fail, and the taxpayer will be prompted to change the name in either Aadhaar or PAN database.
To update your PAN details contact NSDL https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/endUserRegisterContact.html or To update your Aadhaar card details, please contact UIDAI at https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/update.
This facility is also available after login.
- Go to Profile Settings and choose Aadhaar linking.
- The details as per PAN are pre-populated.
- Enter Aadhaar no. And enter the name exactly as given in Aadhaar card and submit.
Easy for E-Verification
The IT department is notifying all tax payers to use the simplified process to complete the linking of Aadhaar with PAN asap. This will be useful for E-Verification of Income Tax returns using Aadhaar OTP.