Earlier as under the Service tax and VAT regime, service tax registration number and TIN were being issued by the State and the Centre. Nonetheless, with the implementation of the new GST tax regime, all taxpayers shall be registered under one authority. All of the taxpayers who register and migrate to GST will be issued a GSTIN or Goods and Service Tax Identification Number.
Every business entity providing goods and services with a turnover of over Rs. 20 lakh is required to register under the new taxation regime. The registration makes sense as only registered business entities will be allowed benefits of Input Tax Credit or ITC on their purchase of raw material.
Here's a step-by-step guide to get GSTIN
1. Log on to GST online portal and click on Register Now tab wherein Part A of the application needs to be filled with all such details that include your name, mobile number and e-mail ID.
2. The verification shall be done by the portal in respect of the provided details; by sending OTP on your e-mail and phone.
3. After the department is done with the verification process, an Application Reference Number or ARN shall be received on e-mail or mobile.
4. Using the ARN, you now have to fill Part B of the application. In this step you will require all these documents that include photographs, proofs of place of business, bank account details, authorization form and taxpayer constitution.
5. At this step you need to fill in all the information and upload required documents to complete the application and submit it using either Aadhaar OTP or DSC.
6. Finally, the application shall be verified by the GST officer within 3 days. There can be two instances after the review process, either he can approve the application and you shall receive the Certificate of Registration (Form GST REG 06. Or in another instance, officer will ask to provide more information using Form GST-REG-03. In case the provided details satisfy the officer then Certificate of Registration will be obtained. Else in the other case he may also reject the same citing reasons for it.