What Is PAN Migration?

Posted By:
Subscribe to GoodReturns

PAN is issued by the Income Tax department as a laminated card which bears details including date of birth, name and PAN number of the individual. The allotted PAN number is a 10-digit alphanumeric number allotted to concerns when they make an application for the same.

What Is PAN Migration?

The unique ID is used in a broad way and helps the department to link all of the financial transactions of the concern with the unique ID such as tax payments, income tax return, wealth tax return, TDS and TCS credits and other specific transactions. So, the question that arises now is what is this PAN migration?

In a case when the individual relocates from one state to another and changes his or her permanent residential address, the PAN also has to be updated with respect to the new and changed address. The updation calls for a migration of the PAN under a new assessing officer of AO which is effected such that the AO is able to process the income tax return filed by the assessee in accordance with his new residential address.

How to get the PAN migrated and confirm that the process has been completed?

The application for PAN migration has to be made to the AO who currently holds jurisdiction of your PAN and the process entails PAN transfer request that has to be entered by the destination AO (your new AO as per the new residential location) and acceptance of the same by source AO (who currently holds jurisdiction for your PAN). On acceptance by the source AO, the PAN migration request is further transferred to the Income Tax Commission of the same jurisdiction for his final say.

And if you want to know whether the authorities have approved your request for PAN migration and whether it has been migrated under the jurisdiction of the new Assessing Officer , income tax provides a link on its e-filing website under the Know your jurisdictional A.O tab.


Story first published: Thursday, July 13, 2017, 10:42 [IST]
Please Wait while comments are loading...
Company Search
Enter the first few characters of the company's name or the NSE symbol or BSE code and click 'Go'


Get Latest News alerts from Goodreturns