The State Bank of India (SBI) serves the largest number of customers in India. With its wide reach, it also provides a good range of bank services. One of its services, SBI credit cards, comes in a variety of types based on the customer's requirements and are categorised under Lifestyle, Reward, Shopping, Travel & Fuel and Business sections.
Some of the popular SBI credit cards include Air India SBI Platinum Card, SimplySAVE SBI Card, Mumbai Metro SBI Card, Signature card and more. different users.
Things to Know Before Closing or Cancelling an SBI Credit Card
Although it is understood that a cardholder can cancel or close a credit card at any time they wish, some points must be verified before initiating the cancellation process. Listed below is a checklist for cardholders for it:
1. Make sure the dues are paid: In case the cardholder has an outstanding expiration on the credit card that you want to close or cancel, the bank will notify you by sending you a letter. Only once the cardholder deletes the outstanding amount, will the credit card cancellation process begin. In accordance with the guidelines established by SBI, before the cardholder begins a process to cancel or close his credit card, he must settle all the outstanding balance and all the EMIs that carry the card in question.
2. Reward points Redemption: Before closing or cancelling your SBI credit card, cardholders should verify their reward points that have not been used. They must redeem them for products from the bank's rewards catalogue or use them to get good discounts. Cardholders can redeem unused reward points within 45 days after the card is cancelled.
3. The card should not be used just before the start of the cancellation: It is not recommended to use the card just before the start of the cancellation process, as it will still generate a payment status that the cardholder must pay. In addition, the bank will not respond to a cancellation request if there is a new payment pending.
4. The last account statement must be thoroughly verified: cardholders must thoroughly verify the last account statement of the card they wish to cancel to ensure that no fraudulent transactions are made.
Despite the ease that they provide, a cardholder may want to cancel their SBI credit card for a number of reasons. While the reason may be personal or just for financial purposes, one can apply for SBI credit card cancellation as follows:
Check for the status
Before you apply for cancellation, make sure your credit card is active. SBI holds the right to restrict, terminate or suspend the use of the account at any time without prior notice for business or security reasons or at the request of any law enforcement agency.
The bank can also suspend the credit facility if the cardholder defaults on the payment due or exceeds the credit limit extended.
You should ask check if the agreement has terminated or expired.
You can get details of your SBI Credit Card account on your registered mobile number via SMS by giving a missed call:
|Kind of information needed||Missed call number|
|Available Credit and Cash Limit||8422845513|
|Reward Point Summary||8422845514|
|Last Payment Status||8422845515|
Pay your dues
If your card has been deactivated for the above-stated reasons, you will need to immediately pay the outstanding balance on the account. This includes all amounts due to SBI under the credit card agreement, including all transactions and other amounts not yet charged to the account.
The cancellation process of the SBI credit card will not be considered unless all the dues are paid in full.
SBI sends monthly statements to the cardholder to their e-mail ID or postal address registered with the bank that summaries the customer's dues, provided the card has been active during the said period. Payments made towards the card outstanding are acknowledged in subsequent statements.
Payments towards the credit card account may be made in any of the following ways:
- By logging onto sbicard.com and using Payment option to make payment through netbanking or your SBI ATM cum debit card.
- By mailing a Cheque or draft to the mailing address provided on the reverse of the monthly statement.
- By dropping a Cheque or draft into any of the SBI Card drop boxes placed in your city or in designated State Bank of India branches.
- The Cheque/draft should be made payable to "SBI Card Number xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx".
- ECS: Payments can be made through the Electronic Clearing System (ECS) in select cities.
In case of discrepancies
If you have any issue with the taxes or content in the bank statement sent to you, it should be within 25 days from the date of issuance of the statement.
Contacts for SBI Credit Card Customer Grievance Redressal:
All grievance escalations should be marked to the Nodal Officer, at PO Bag 28 - GPO, New Delhi - 110001 or e-mail at Nodalofficer@sbicard.com
Phone numbers of discrepancies:
- 39 02 02 02 (prefix local STD code) or 1860 180 1290
- 39 02 12 12 ( Prefix STD code of your city while calling from mobile)
- From BSNL/MTNL : 1860 180 1290/1800 180 1290
To the Manager - Customer Services, SBI Cards & Payment Services Pvt. Ltd., DLF Infinity Towers, Tower C, 12th Floor, Block 2, Building 3, DLF Cyber City Gurugram-122002 (Haryana) India www.sbicard.com or at PO Bag 28 - GPO, New Delhi - 110001
In case of default
In the event of default, the cardholder will be sent reminders from time to time for settlement of any outstanding on the card account, by post, fax, telephone, e-mail, SMS and/or engage third parties to remind, follow up and collect dues. Any third party so appointed shall adhere fully to the code of conduct on debt collection.
Before reporting default status of a credit card holder to a Credit Information Company which has obtained Certificate of Registration from RBI and of which the SBI is a member, the will provide a months' notice to the card holder.
It may further be noted, that if a card holder, post being reported as a defaulter, clears his/her dues, then SBI would withdraw the defaulter status from the Credit Information Company. Such changes may take 45-60 days to reflect in the customer's credit report.
Incase of death or bankruptcy
The total amount outstanding on the C\xard account, together with the amount of any charges effective but not yet charged to the card account, will become immediately due and payable in full to SBI on bankruptcy or death of the primary cardholder, and the card account shall immediately stand cancelled.
The primary cardholder's estate will be responsible for settling any outstanding on the card account.
Procedure to cancel/close SBI credit cardholder
You can end the SBI credit card agreement at any time by raising a cancellation request over call, email or post.
- 39 02 02 02 (use local STD code before dialling)
- 1860 180 1290
- 1800 180 1290 (toll free)
You can write to firstname.lastname@example.org
SBI Card, P.O. Bag 28, GPO, New Delhi - 110001
- When you call the helpline, you will only be asked for name, address, card number, and contact details. Do not give away CVV or PIN.
- Cut the card diagonally once the cancellation process is initiated.
- Termination will be effective after payment of all amounts outstanding on the card account.
- No annual, joining or renewal fees shall be refunded on a pro-rata basis.