The State Bank of India (SBI) serves the largest number of customers in India. With its wide reach, it also provides a good range of bank services. One of its services, SBI credit cards, comes in a variety of types based on the customer's requirements and are categorised under Lifestyle, Reward, Shopping, Travel & Fuel and Business sections.
Some of the popular SBI credit cards include Air India SBI Platinum Card, SimplySAVE SBI Card, Mumbai Metro SBI Card, Signature card and more. different users.
Despite the ease that they provide, a cardholder may want to cancel their SBI credit card for a number of reasons. While the reason may be personal or just for financial purposes, one can apply for SBI credit card cancellation as follows:
Check for the status
Before you apply for cancellation, make sure your credit card is active. SBI holds the right to restrict, terminate or suspend the use of the account at any time without prior notice for business or security reasons or at the request of any law enforcement agency.
The bank can also suspend the credit facility if the cardholder defaults on the payment due or exceeds the credit limit extended.
You should ask check if the agreement has terminated or expired.
You can get details of your SBI Credit Card account on your registered mobile number via SMS by giving a missed call:
|Kind of information needed||Missed call number|
|Available Credit and Cash Limit||8422845513|
|Reward Point Summary||8422845514|
|Last Payment Status||8422845515|
Pay your dues
If your card has been deactivated for the above stated reasons, you will need to immediately pay outstanding balance on the account. This includes all amounts due to SBI under the credit card greement, including all transactions and other amounts not yet charged to the account.
The cancellation process of the SBI credit card will not be considered unless all the dues are paid in full.
SBI sends monthly statements to the cardholder to their e-mail ID or postal address registered with the bank that summaries the customer's dues, provided the card has been active during the said period. Payments made towards the card outstanding are acknowledged in subsequent statements.
Payments towards the credit card account may be made in any of the following ways:
- By logging onto sbicard.com and using Payment option to make payment through netbanking or your SBI ATM cum debit card.
- By mailing a Cheque or draft to the mailing address provided on the reverse of the monthly statement.
- By dropping a Cheque or draft into any of the SBI Card drop boxes placed in your city or in designated State Bank of India branches.
- The Cheque/draft should be made payable to "SBI Card Number xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx".
- ECS: Payments can be made through the Electronic Clearing System (ECS) in select cities.
Incase of discrepancies
If you have any issue with the taxes or content in the bank statement sent to you, it should be within 25 days from the date of issuance of the statement.
Contacts for SBI Credit Card Customer Grievance Redressal:
All grievance escalations should be marked to the Nodal Officer, at PO Bag 28 - GPO, New Delhi - 110001 or e-mail at Nodalofficer@sbicard.com
Phone numbers of discrepancies:
- 39 02 02 02 (prefix local STD code) or 1860 180 1290
- 39 02 12 12 ( Prefix STD code of your city while calling from mobile)
- From BSNL/MTNL : 1860 180 1290/1800 180 1290
To the Manager - Customer Services, SBI Cards & Payment Services Pvt. Ltd., DLF Infinity Towers, Tower C, 12th Floor, Block 2, Building 3, DLF Cyber City Gurugram-122002 (Haryana) India www.sbicard.com or at PO Bag 28 - GPO, New Delhi - 110001
In case of default
In the event of default, the cardholder will be sent reminders from time to time for settlement of any outstanding on the card account, by post, fax, telephone, e-mail, SMS and/or engage third parties to remind, follow up and collect dues. Any third party so appointed, shall adhere fully to the code of conduct on debt collection.
Before reporting default status of a credit card holder to a Credit Information Company which has obtained Certificate of Registration from RBI and of which the SBI is a member, the will provide a months' notice to the card holder.
It may further be noted, that if a card holder, post being reported as defaulter, clears his/her dues, then SBI would withdraw the defaulter status from the Credit Information Company. Such changes may take 45-60 days to reflect in customer's credit report.
Incase of death or bankruptcy
The total amopunt outstanding on the C\xard account, together with the amount of any charges effective but not yet charged to the card account, will become immediately due and payable in full to SBI on bankruptcy or death of the primary cardholder, and the card account shall immediately stand cancelled.
The primary cardholder's estate will be responsible for settling any outstanding on the card account.
Before you cancel the card
Before you start with the procedure to cancel the SBI credit card:
- Make sure your dues are cleared.
- Redeem any reward points you want. One can redeem the unused reward points within 45 days of cancellation of the card.
- Do not use the card very close to the cancellation so as to avoid generation of another bank statement on dues pending.
Procedure to cancel/close SBI credit cardholder
You can end the SBI credit card agreement at any time by raising a cancellation request over call, email or post.
- 39 02 02 02 (use local STD code before dialing)
- 1860 180 1290
- 1800 180 1290 (toll free)
You can write to email@example.com
SBI Card, P.O. Bag 28, GPO, New Delhi - 110001
- When you call the helpline, you will only be asked for name, address, card number, and contact details. Do not give away CVV or PIN.
- Cut the card diagonally once the cancellation process is initiated.
- Termination will be effective after payment of all amounts outstanding on the card account.
- No annual, joining or renewal fees shall be refunded on a pro-rata basis.