Banks operate as per the regulations prescribed by the Reserve Bank of India. If you are not satisfied with the banking services offered, you can close your bank account. Some banks charge during account closure and some won't. Country's largest lender SBI has recently waived off the account closing charges. You cannot close your SBI bank account online. The customer needs to visit his or her home branch where they opened the account.
The procedure to close SBI Savings account and SBI Salary account are same.
If you have savings or current or salary account with SBI (State bank of India) and you want to close it, here are all details and procedures for closing your SBI account.
Things to remember
There are some things you need to remember before closing your SBI bank account.
- You cannot re-open your SBI account again.
- You should make the balance to Zero before proceeding with the account closure.
- If there are any pending dues, it should be cleared before closing the account.
- For future use, it is important to take complete bank statement of your SBI account.
- Walk into your SBI branch.
- The bank executive will provide you the Account Closure Request Form or CDSL. You can also download the SBI Account Closure form from SBI website. Fill the form to close the account.
- You need to fill the complete form mentioning following details:
- Name of account holder
- Account number
- Contact number and signature of the account holder.
- Reasons for closing the account
- You have the option to transfer the remaining balance by Cash, Cheque, DD, or Transfer to other accounts. Mark your option in the form.
Return the Cheque Book, Passbook and Debit Card (if any)
The account holders in SBI bank should return their cheque book along with remaining cheque leaves to the respective bank branch at the time of closing their account with the bank. A Cheque book is used at the time of withdrawal of money from the bank account.
One should also handover their passbook to the bank at the time of closing their SBI account.
The account holder should also return their debit card which is used to withdraw money from ATM or at POS and so on.
(Note: Do withdraw the money if you want to do so before returning the debit card).
Some SBI branches may ask for ID proof and address proof before closing your SBI account. Provide the same to make sure that you are the same account holder. After the account closure, you will get the email as well as SMS on your registered email id and mobile number. If you have any issues with the SBI account closing, you can call the toll-free number 1800112211.
Some banks charge during account closure. This is to recover the cost of various services incurred during opening an account. This could include the cost of issuance of a chequebook, Debit Cards, etc. State Bank of India has recently waived off account closure charges for accounts older than 1 year. How To Deposit Cash in SBI CDM?
SBI Account closing charges
SBI does not levy any charges for accounts closed within 14 days of opening due to any reason. If an account is closed between 15 days to 1 year, then a charge of Rs 500 plus GST is applicable earlier. By knowing the charges applicable, account holders having multiple bank accounts can choose the account closure for banks levying zero or lowest account closure charges. The bank has revised savings bank account closure charges with effect from 1st October 2017. There is nil charge for this service now. How To Register For SBI SMS Banking?