*99# is a USSD or Unstructured Supplementary Service Data based mobile banking service launched by NPCI (National Payment Corporation Of India). Using *99# service, you can access financial services by dialing *99# from your mobile registered with the bank. The *99# works across all GSM service providers and handsets.
When USSD code connects to the telecom operator's server, it also connects to bank's server. This service allows a customer to check their bank balance easily on any mobile by just dialing *99# USSD code.
Know more about *99# USSD:
Advantages of *99#
There are many benefits associated with using the *99# facility. Check out the major advantages
- *99# works without internet connection also
- The common code of *99# is applicable across all telecom operators.
- The customer doesn't need to pay additional roaming charges are charged for using this service.
- This facility can be availed 24/7 including holidays
- The user doesn't need to install any App on mobile to use this facility.
- *99# service is available in 12 Indian regional languages.
Non Financial services
The user can avail many nonfinancial services by the *99# method. This includes services such as,balance enquiry, mini statement, generating OTP for different transactions as a second factor of authentication, Generate Mobile PIN or MPIN, Mobile Money Identifier (MMID) generation etc.
Financial services can be availed under the *99# facility.One can avail financial services of
- Sending money using MMID
- Sending money using IFSC. '
- Link Aadhaar to beneficiaries
How to check balance?
Below are the steps for checking bank balance without internet through *99#
- From your mobile phone dial *99#
- A new screen would appear which will ask you to enter your bank's 3 letters short name or first 4 letters of IFSC.
- Enter your banks IFSC or short name
- You will get a menu with different options for available services enabled for your bank.
- For balance enquiry, you have to enter option 1
- A confirmation screen appears next displaying the available balance on your account.
Almost all the major telecom service providers in India supports *99# facility. You can avail this facility in various regional languages also. For this, you need to enter the requisite codes. For Hindi it is *99#22# ), For Tamil *99#23# (for Tamil), For Malayalam *99#25#, etc.
To avail *99# facility you have to register your mobile number with the bank. You need a proper network or range to avail services using *99# codes.