Having an updated Aadhaar is not only beneficial but necessary. It is important to have your contacts details updated so that you are being informed of any Aadhar related verification.
From changing your name in the records to requesting your Aadhaar authentication history, you require a contact number that should be updated in your Aadhar to receive the OTP (one time password) that will be sent to your registered mobile number.
These days many services like opening a demat account can be done at home using just your internet-connected device and your Aadhaar linked to your mobile number. With a simple OTP based verification process, the KYC requirements can be completed.
The Aadhaar based KYC verification process not only saves time but is secure and user-friendly. Updating one's mobile number in UIDAI's record is also equally simple.
How to change or update mobile number in the Aadhaar records?
The UIDAI has cancelled the online method of changing one's mobile number in the Aadhaar records. You can only do so offline by visiting your closest Aadhaar Kendra Centre. You can locate your closest centre from this link.
- You will have to fill an 'Aadhaar Update/Correction Form' and submit it at the centre.
- The authorities will provide you with an acknowledgement slip that contains the Update Request Number.
It should take ten days to update your mobile number. To make the changes, you will have to get your biometrics data verified and submit an existing government ID proof.
Only change of address in Aadhaar can be done online, provided your mobile number is rightly registered with the UIDAI. The resident is authenticated using OTP on his/her registered mobile number. To complete the update process, the resident needs to upload the supporting POA (proof of address) documents, which will be verified against requested data at a later stage at UIDAI's Update back-office by a Verifier.
How to check if your mobile number is registered in your Aadhaar database?
The UIDAI website provides the service to check your email address and mobile number registered under your Aadhaar number.
- Visit this link.
- Enter your 12 digit Aadhaar number in the space provided.
- Enter your mobile number or e-mail address that you wish you verify.
- Enter the captcha and click on "Send OTP" option.
- Enter the OTP received and your number will be verified.
Benefits of updating mobile number in Aadhaar:
- You can perform KYC verifications with just an OTP.
- You will receive SMS updates when your bank account is credited with government scheme benefits like LPG cylinder subsidies.
- You will receive alert messages if your Aadhaar details are being sought by an organization or person. They cannot access it without the OTP.