Universal Account Number is a unique 12 digit identification number that is issued by the Employee Provident Fund Organisation to its members. Lately the organisation has introduced a feature wherein all those having aadhaar Ids even before joining a new job can generate their UAN online.
This UAN links all the member Ids of the PF subscriber that changes upon job change and the main idea behind introducing UAN was to enable employees avail all EPF related services easily without much intervention by the employer.
Here's a step by step guide to generate your UAN online
As said earlier, the prerequisite for generating UAN is that you must be having your aadhaar ID. Also, your mobile number should be registered with aadhaar as the process is backed by one time password or OTP authentication.
1. Go to the EPFO portal and on the login screen towards the bottom right corner click on the tab for "Online Aadhaar Verified UAN Allotment".
2. In the new window you will be asked to enter your aadhaar Id, provide the details and click on generate OTP tab.
3. The EPFO portal will send one-time password to the mobile number registered with your aadhaar.
4. The submit button will be activated after you enter the OTP send to you and check on the disclaimer provided therein. Click on the 'Submit' tab.
5. All basic details related to the aadhaar will appear on the screen, user upon verification needs to enter the requisite data.
6. After providing all the mandatory details together with checking in the disclaimer box and entering the captcha, you need to click on the 'Register' button. Thereafter the UAN will be allotted and shall be provided to the user as a message.