We are living in a world which has seen a revolution of digitization in all the sectors, be it banks, mobile, internet, shopping and so on. Every human being wants to reduce the time and energy spent on doing things manually and prefer to do things using the latest available technology. One such thing is e-hospital, one of the schemes introduced by the government of India, to push the use of technology to connect and empower people in areas related to health.
What is e-hospital?
e-hospital is an online registration services framework portal. People can avail online services such as registration and appointment, pay fees, view diagnostics reports and check for the availability of blood in government hospitals in this portal.
It is one of the Digital India program launched by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi out of the 13 launches made at the Digital India Week.
What is e-hospital?
Through this kind of service, securing an appointment in outpatient department (OPD), lab reports, availability of blood can be checked online. It has eased out the hardship undergone by an individual, who otherwise has to run from one pillar to another pillar to secure blood during the hospitalization period.
As of September 2016, 46 hospitals covering 478 departments are providing this service.
How does e-hospital work?
e-hospital works on Online Registration System (ORS). ORS is an online portal where people having Aadhaar can enroll for appointments in hospitals spread across various states and union territories in India.
Online Registration System is being implemented in hospitals where the counter based outpatient department registration and appointment based system through Hospital Management Information System (HMIS) has been digitized.
How to Book an Appointment using e-hospital Portal?
The portal helps in booking appointments through online mode in different hospitals across various departments. One can book an appointment
• By using e-know your customer (eKYC) data of Aadhaar number, if the patient's mobile number is registered with the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
• If the mobile number of the patient is not registered with UIDAI, the portal uses patient's name.
• Any new patient who is enrolling for the first time in the portal will get a Unique Health Identification (UHID) number.
• In case if the Aadhaar number is already linked with UHID number, then a new appointment number will be generated, and the UHID number will remain the same.
Features of e-hospital
The following are the features of the e-hospital portal:
• Appointment Process Simplified: e-hospital portal provides simple appointment process for the patients. It simplifies the registration process in the hospital. You have to authenticate using Aadhaar number then select the hospital which you prefer to visit and then select the department and the date of appointment. After filling up the required details you will receive an SMS with information related to the appointment.
• Dashboard Reports: It provides a detailed list of a total number of hospitals and various departments in a particular hospital to the user. One can choose from the list of available hospitals as per the preferences and requirements.
• Easy Access: It also helps the user to see the available slots for appointment in a hospital.
• New and old patients: The user can also see the total number of old and new patients who have booked for appointments.
• Hospitals come on board: The hospitals can come on board and provide appointment slots for patients through online booking
• Manage Appointment Process: It facilitates hospitals to manage the registration, appointment process easily and to monitor them.
Requirements for securing Online Appointment in Hospitals
• The new patients require Aadhaar number with their registered mobile numbers to secure online appointments using e-hospital. The system will get the personal details of the patient using e-KYC data from Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
• If the patient has Aadhaar number and the mobile number is not linked with Aadhaar card, then the name of the patient as it appears in Aadhaar card must be known, and after verification of the same, the patient needs to enter other personal details in the e-hospital portal.
• If the patient does not have Aadhaar card, then personal details like the name, father's name, mother's name, mobile number, and so on has to be entered in the e-hospital portal to secure an appointment in hospital.
Steps For Securing Appointment Online
1. Verify yourself using Mobile Number
2. Choose Hospital / Department
3. Select the date of appointment
4. Verify yourself using Aadhaar Number
5. Get confirmation through SMS
Appointment Process for a New Patient
• One has to visit the portal http://ors.gov.in/copp/appointment.jsp
• If Aadhaar number of the patient and mobile number is registered with UIDAI, then One Time Pin or OTP will be sent by UIDAI through SMS
• The Aadhaar card holder has to give the required consent to share his/her KYC data as stored within the UIDAI with the hospital to take OPD appointment
• If the patient's mobile number is not registered with UIDAI, then the patient's name as per the Aadhaar card has to be given, and after the demographic authentication is done with UIDAI, the patient will be requested to share personal details like mobile number, age, address, etc
• If the user does not have Aadhaar number, then he/she can book for an appointment through the e-hospital portal, but they have to collect the OPD card from the concerned hospital after providing identity card of the patient.
• The user can select the date of appointment and the department from the available list of government hospital where the patient needs to visit for check-up
• He will receive a confirmation through SMS in the registered mobile number providing the details of the OPD appointment.