Indian government programs for housing started with the rehabilitation of refugees after independence. Continuing its mission to help citizens, the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana-Gramin (PMAYG) was started to replace Indira Awaas Yojana (IAY) (launched in 1996) after recognizing gaps from its performance evaluation.
In view of Government's vision of "Housing for All" by 2022, Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana was launched on 1st April 2016.
Objective of PMAYG
- To provide pucca houses with basic amenities to house-less families and those living in kaccha/dilapidated houses by 2022.
- Target of 2.95 crore houses to achieve "Housing for All."
- To enable construction using local materials, designs and trained masons.
- Minimum size of the house will be 25 sq. m including dedicated area for cooking hygienically.
- Assistance for improving the house will be Rs 1.20 lakhs for plains and Rs 1.30 lakhs for hilly states and difficult areas.
- Technical assistance to build houses will also be provided to beneficiaries.
- All payments will be made digitally to the beneficiary's bank or post office accounts linked to Aadhar.
- House Designs are specific to States as per their demographic conditions.
Key Features of PMAYG
Are you eligible for PMAYG?
The selection of beneficiaries is based on data collected from Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC). This will further be verified by Gram Sabhas.
Priority will be assigned to categories namely; SC & ST, Minority and Others.
It begins with first priority to house-less families in each category, followed number of rooms (zero to 2 in an order).
The priority groups will be further prioritized based on the following:
- Households with no adult member between the ages of 16 to 59 years.
- Female headed households with no adult male member between the ages of 16 to 59 years.
- Households with no literate adult above 25 years of age.
- Households with any disabled member and no able bodied adult member.
- Landless households depended mainly on income from manual casual labour.
Financial Cost Coverage
Cost of construction will be shared between the Central and State governments in 60:40 ratio in plains, 90:10 ration in North Eastern states, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir and Uttarkhand. The Central Government will provide the full cost for Union Territories (UT).
Assistance to Beneficiary
- Upto 90/95 days of unskilled labour will be provided under Mahatma Gandhi NREGS. The beneficiary can avail it himself/herself.
- Rs 12,000 will be given to construct a toilet.
- Landless households will be provided land for house construction.
- The beneficiary can also avail a loan of upto Rs 70,000 from Financial Institutions.
- If you are one of the beneficiaries from the Annual List, you will be registered under MIS-AwaasSoft with details of your bank account, nominee details, MGNREGS Job card number, Aadhar number, mobile number, etc.
- A trained mason will be assigned to you on the same platform.
- The house is jointly registered in the name of both the husband and wife. It will be in the name of the beneficiary for persons with disabilities.
- The issue of sanction will be communicated to you through SMS.
- You will receive the first installment in your bank account within 7 working days of your sanction issuance.
How to register for Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana?
The house should be constructed by the beneficiary himself without a contractor. For beneficiary in his/her old age or with disabilities, trained masons will be given.
The construction should be completed within 12 months from the date of sanction.