A large population of India suffers from poverty and cannot afford some basic facilities like healthcare.
Healthcare also includes non-infrastructural resources like drugs. A major problem in India is the easily available branded (generic) medicines that are priced significantly higher than unbranded (generic) equivalents with identical therapeutic value.
Therefore, to make quality generic medicine available at reasonable prices in every district in India, the Pharma Advisory Forum launched Jan Aushadhi Campaign. These medicines are sold in Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Kendra in various districts across the country.
The stores that sell these medicines are available for individuals and institutions to bid for, at a profit margin. Let us understand the working of the Jan Aushadhi Yojana.
The role of Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India
Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India (BPPI) is the implementation agency for the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Kendras. Their role is to:
- Make quality generic medicines available at affordable prices for all
- Marketing of these generic drugs through the Kendras
- Procurement of medicines from Central pharma PSUs and Private Sectors
- Monitoring proper running of the Kendras
Eligibility to Open a Jan Aushadhi Kendra
If you are an individual, you can apply for opening a Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Kendra if:
- You are a doctor
- You are registered medical practitioner
- You possess B. Pharma/D. Pharma Degree
Even if you personally do not fulfill the above eligibility criteria, you can apply to open a Jan Aushadhi Kendra if you can employ a B. Pharma/ D. Pharma degree holder.
There are also opportunities for individuals to open a medical store in government hospital premises. However, in the application selection process, the first preference will be given to reputed NGOs/Charitable organizations.
Profit Margin and Incentives
If you get the operating agency for a Jan Aushadhi Kendra, you will be provided 20% margin on MRP (excluding taxes) of each drug.
If your Kendra is linked with the BPPI through their software that is connected to the internet, you are eligible for incentives up to Rs 2.5 lakhs. This is given at 15% of monthly sales with a ceiling limit of Rs 10,000 per month. For north-eastern states and Naxal affected areas, tribal areas, the ceiling limit will be Rs 15,000.
Applicants who are differently-abled or belong to the SC/ST section will be provided medicines worth Rs 50,000 in advance apart from the above mentioned incentives.
Requirements for Opening a Jan Aushadhi Kendra
- The applicant will have to arrange own space or hired space (minimum 120 sq feet) duly supported by proper lease agreement or space allotment letter. The BPPI will have no role in arranging for space.
- Proof of securing a pharmacist with name, Registration with the State Council etc. (or it can be submitted at the time of final approval of JAS).
- Proof of SC, ST and Differently-abled certificate from respective authorities, if applicable.
How to Apply for Opening a Jan Aushadhi Kendra?
You can submit your applications online as well as offline.
Click here to access the official website and submit your application online.
Download and print the form. Fill it in the prescribed format and post it to below mentioned address:
Bureau of Pharma Public Sector Undertakings of India (BPPI),
IDPL Corporate Office, IDPL Complex,
Old Delhi Gurgaon Road, Dundahera,
Gurgaon - 122016 (Haryana)
The closed envelope should clearly say "Application For The New PMBJK" before the address.