UPI or Unified Payments Interface is the go-to option to transfer money these days; be it account transfer or payments of bills or shopping. What puts UPI payments ahead of other modes of online money transfer is the ease of use with just a tap on an app over your mobile phone.
If you hold an account with HDFC Bank, the largest private sector bank in India and confused as to how you can go about making quick transfers to another account using just an app rather than internet banking, here is a guide on how to get started.
How to register for HDFC Bank's UPI payments facility?
If you have activated the net banking facility on your HDFC Bank account, you just need to follow the following steps.
- Go to PlayStore (Android) or App Store (iOS) and search for "HDFC Bank MobileBanking App" (Refer picture above). Download and install.
- Open the app and log in using your net banking customer ID and before you enter your password, you will be seeing the display image chosen by you for your net banking facility, which will confirm your identity. Enter your password to log in.
- In the menu options (the blue horizontal strip below), choose "Accounts" (Refer picture below).
- Select the first option that appears that is "BHIM HDFC Bank."
- If you have already registered yourself with BHIM (HDFC's UPI partner), you can proceed with the money transfer.
Registration and Creating UPI ID
First-time users will be taken to the registration page to create a UPI ID for carrying out the transactions. In some cases, that is, if you are using HDFC Bank's mobile banking services for the first time on your mobile device, you will get a prompting notification that you cannot go forward with the command because it is not PSP verified. This means that your device is not registered with PSP (payment service provider) for UPI services.
To be able to proceed with it, you will get an SMS code (OTP) on your phone number registered with HDFC Bank for verification to create a BHMI UPI ID. If you are not able to do it, you will need to contact your branch.
What does UPI ID mean?
A UPI ID looks like "98XXXXXX21@hdfcbank" or "pay2rahul@hdfcbank" for HDFC bank account holders. The characters before "@" would be your unique ID and the later part represents the name of your bank. If you use mobile banking apps (like that of ICICI or HDFC Bank) to create a UPI ID, it allows you to create one just like the case of email IDs based on the availability of the prefix.
However, in other non-banking payment apps like Google Pay that allow you to make transfers using the beneficiary's registered phone number and email address, create one for you automatically.
How to send money through HDFC Bank's UPI Facility?
When you are done with the registration, go to "Pay" after you have tapped "BHIM HDFC UPI" under "Accounts."
In order to select the beneficiary, you have to enter either of the following of their details:
- UPI ID (Explained above)
- Account number (with IFSC code)
- Aadhaar number
You will then need to enter the amount to be transferred and the description of the payment.
How to receive payments through HDFC UPI?
The UPI payment facility also allows you to request for an amount due to you from an individual. To initiate the request in the same app:
- Go to Accounts>BHIM HDFC Bank>Collect.
- Enter the UPI (also known as Virtual Payer Address) of the person you wish you receive money from.
- Enter the transaction amount and description.
- Set an expiry time for the request.
- Once the payer receives the request and accepts it, the payment will be sent directly to your account.