The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has once again asked the individuals to link their Aadhaar to PAN for the purpose of filing income tax returns (ITR). The mandatory linking has to be completed by 31 March 2019.
"Constitutional validity of Aadhaar has been upheld by the Supreme Court of India in September, 2018. Consequently, in terms of Section 139AA of Income Tax Act, 1961 and order dated June 30, 2018 of the Central Board of Direct Taxes, Aadhaar-PAN linking is mandatory now which has to be completed till March 31, 2019 by PAN holders requiring filing of ITR," the CBDT said in an advisory.
Further on February 6, the Supreme Court has confirmed that linking Aadhaar with PAN was mandatory for filing ITR.
And if you after the CBDT notification fail to link the two IDs, your held PAN will be rendered invalid. So, here is provided a process to check if your PAN is linked with aadhaar or not:
Though before detailing the process, we wish to state that the deadline is for individuals who have filed their ITR for FY 2016017 (Assessment year 2017-18) without linking two IDs. And if they do not complete the process by the specified time, their ITR will remain unprocessed.
So, all others who are due to link the two IDs need to do it at the earliest as the enabling provision has already been included in Section 139AA of the Income Tax Act.
And if you want to confirm that the two IDs i.e. your PAN and Aadhaar are linked in the database of income tax dept, you need to follow the below process:
1. Visit www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
2. Under the 'Quick links' head, you need to now click on the option 'Link Aadhaar'.
3. Here in a new page will open that will take you to a new hyperlink, allowing you to view the status of PAN-Aadhaar linkage.
4. And once you click on the hyperlink, you need to provide both your PAN and aadhaar number.
5. Enter the details and click on 'View Link Aadhaar Status'.
Post this, the department will make a confirmation of whether or not your PAN is linked to Aadhaar.