As a salaried class, you are required to keep a track of your EPF account in respect of the contributions made by your employer and ensure whether the deductions made in its respect from your gross total income actually are credited into your EPF account. For the same, EPF statement can be an important tool. Also it can help you know the amount of EPF corpus that has accumulated over the years of your employment.
Further, when it comes to tax planning, you can refer the EPF statement to know the total contributions made towards the EPF account in a particular financial year that qualify for deduction under Section 80C.
Also, the statement can be crucial and provide information that will be needed when transferring EPF account from the last employer to the new employer.
Similar to a savings bank account, EPF account comes with a passbook and to access it you must be registered with the EPFO website. The passbook provides details on PF account number, provident fund, pension scheme details, establishment ID and name of your employer, EPFO office and its type and other details.
Process to register yourself on the EPFO website
1. Visit Epfo website https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
2. Click on Activate UAN (Universal Account Number) on the bottom of the page.
3. A new page asking you to provide details such as UAN, member ID, aadhaar, PAN, name, date of birth etc. will appear. Note that the details entered are as per EPFO records. Some of the fields marked with red asterisk are mandatory.
4. Then after giving the details, you need to click on the tab mentioning 'Get Authorization Pin'. Later a new page asking you to verify the details provided by you will flash. Alongside an OTP will be sent to your mobile number that is registered with the EPFO.
5. Enter the OTP and click on 'Validate OTP and activate UAN'.
And as and when your UAN is activated, you will receive an SMS providing the password for your EPF account, using which you can log into your account.
Now, you can view your EPF passbook only six hours after the registration is complete
Step-by-step guide to download your EPF statement:
1. Visit website: https://passbook.epfindia.gov.in/MemberPassBook/Login.jsp
2. Enter your UAN, password and captcha code. Click on 'log in'.
3. On successful ly logging to your account, select the member ID to view your passbook. The passbook is in PDF format which is easily downloadable.
Note the passbook for exempted establishments cannot be fetched via this method i.e. in case the employer manages the trust on their own, inoperative and settled members.