PAN or Permanent Account Number is allotted by the department of Income tax under the supervision of the Central Board for Direct Taxes (CBDT). The important ID proof is required by earning individuals to file income tax return and also claim certain allowed tax exemptions. PAN enables the authorities to provide identification to all of the financial transactions and thus prevent incidences of tax evasion.
So, if you do not have PAN card yet and possess the UIDAI-issued Aadhaar number, you can apply for PAN online free of cost. The PAN card issued will be digitally signed and herein the department makes use of the Aadhaar-based KYC for quick allotment of e-PAN.
Below is detailed step-by-step procedure to apply for PAN online using Aadhaar:
1. Visit the UTIITSL's PAN online portal. Click on the link to apply for new PAN card that flashes in red. After this a new page opens and you need to now click on 'Apply as an Indian citizen or NRI'
2. Of the 4 options, you need to select the third option stating ' Apply & Sign using Digital Signature/ Aadhaar based e-Sign, or Aadhaar holders ! Apply using e-KYC option.
3. An application form (PAN card India) for allotment of PAN- Form 49A opens.
4. Further to use the aadhaar-KYC, applicant needs to check the box in front of the field mentioning Aadhaar holders! Click here for opting Aadhaar-based eKYC option.
5. There is an option to choose either e-PAN which will be sent over to applicant's e-mail or both e-PAN and physical PAN.
6. After that you need to carefully fill in the form and click on submit tab.
On successful submission of the PAN application form, an acknowledgement number in 15 digits will be sent to the applicant's e-mail ID and contact number and using it PAN application status can be tracked.