To strengthen the security and eliminate the chances of any security breach using Aadhaar, the unique ID issuing body UIDAI has rolled out a method of locking and unlocking aadhaar number. But before locking your aadhaar number, so as to prevent its usage for any of the authentications, you need to generate the VID or virtual ID as without it at a future date, you will not be able to unlock your aadhaar ID. This 16- digit VID can be generated either by visiting UIDAI portal or via an SMS.
Here’s given the process to lock your aadhaar number:
Through the feature and functionality of locking aadhaar, you or no one else will not be able to use your aadhaar number for any of the authentication using any of the methods such as OTP, biometric or demographic details. And while you have locked your aadhaar, for the authentication in lieu of any KYC, you will need the VID.
And for the generation of the VID, your mobile number must be registered with the UIDAI database.
For locking or unlocking aadhaar, you can take either of the 2 options:
1. For locking or unlocking your aadhaar via website:
· Visit UIDAI site and click on My Aadhaar tab and under Aadhaar services, choose the tab of Aadhaar lock or unlock
· Choose the Lock UID option and provide the required details such as aadhaar number , name as per database along with the security code
· For the verification, an OTP will be sent to your RMN
· Click on submit after entering the OTP
· Your number will be locked
2.For unlocking aadhaar
· Here also, you need to choose the option of unlock aadhaar provided under the aadhaar services link.
· And for unlocking, you need to enter the virtual ID created earlier along with the security code
· Click on Send OTP and then the sent OTP will be valid for just 10 minutes
· After you enter thee sent OTP, your aadhaar number will be unlocked.
For locking or unlocking aadhaar using SMS:
The feature can also be activated for your aadhaar using SMS facility.
For locking follow the below steps:
· From your RMN, send an SMS to 1946 in the format GETOTPLast four digits of Aadhaar number to get the OTP. Say, if your aadhaar number is 1234 5678 4321, then SMS will be sent as GETOTP 4321.
· After the SMS is sent, a 6-digit OTP will be sent to you.
· Then you need to send another SMS in the format LOCKUID Last six digits of Virtual ID 6 digit OTP number
· After the SMS, you will get a confirmation message from the UIDAI
And in a case, when your mobile number is registered with more than one aadhaar number, you will be required to provide last eight digits of your Aadhaar number.
For unlocking your Aadhaar number
· Send SMS from your registered mobile number to 1947 to get OTP in the format: GETOTPLast six digits of your Virtual ID number.
· UIDAI after receiving the message will send over 6-digit OTP
· You need to send another SMS to unlock your Aadhaar number. The second SMS to unlock your Aadhaar number is to be sent as follows: UNLOCKUIDLast six digits of Virtual ID 6 digit OTP.