To make it more convenient for those without an address proof, the UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) announced in a press release that one can now update current address details on Aadhaar with any documentary proof of address (PoA). This will especially help those who have recently changed their residence.
#AddMobileInAadhaar to use the Address Validation Letter service from https://t.co/ekVBGke95F. This allows an Aadhaar holder to update his/ her address by using the Aadhaar address of a 'verifier'. Read more about this service here: https://t.co/YjjGFGJ7Ww pic.twitter.com/Tk23vqeUs9— Aadhaar (@UIDAI) August 1, 2019
How can you update address in Aadhaar without proof online?
It can be updated with the help of an "Address Verifier" and by sending an online request for an "Address Validation Letter."
You can update your address (where you are presently residing) in your Aadhaar with the consent and authentication of the address verifier (a family member, relative, friends, landlord) who is willing to let you use their address as proof.
What is an Address Validation Letter?
Address Validation Letter is letter sent to the Address Verifier's address that will contain a secret code sent for validation after the Address Verifier consents to the use of his/her address by the requesting resident. After the request is submitted successfully the resident will get the Aadhaar Validation Letter within 30 days from the date of raising request.
Before proceeding to request for Address Validation Letter note:
- Resident and Address Verifier both are required to have their mobile registered / updated in Aadhaar. Both are required to be in sync and in agreement while the Request for Address Validation Letter is still in process.
- In case the Address Verifier misses giving consent within stipulated time the request will be invalid. The Resident will be required to initiate the process again.
- A verifier can lend his/ her address to another resident only once in a month.
How to request Address Validation Letter?
- Login: Visit this link and enter your Aadhaar number and captcha code mentioned in the page. An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number. Alternatively, select "Request Aadhaar Validation Letter" option (refer image) under Aadhaar Update Section or "My Aadhaar" drop down on https://uidai.gov.in/ (main page). It will take you to the Self Service Update Portal (SSUP) where you can login.
- Enter Verifier's Aadhaar and Submit.
- Verifier receives SMS with link to give consent for the update.
- Verifier has to click on the link and receives second SMS with OTP for verification.
- Verifier enters this OTP, captcha and verifies.
- Resident gets SRN via SMS (this is a confirmation of Verifier's consent to allow you to use their address).
- Log in with SRN and preview address and submit. Edit Local Language (if required).
- Address Validation Letter with Secret Code will be sent to verifier's address via Post.
- Resident visits SSUP and clicks on 'Proceed to Update Address' link.
- Login and select option to 'Update Address via Secret Code'.
- Enter Secret Code (only three attempts allowed).
- Review the new address and submit.
- Note your Update Request Number (URN) shown on screen. It is also sent via SMS to your number.
- The URN is an indication that a service request for the address validation letter was successfully submitted and verification is awaited. undergo verification.
- You can use this URN and Aadhaar Number to track the status of your address update request from: https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/checkSSUPStatus/checkupdatestatus
- You will receive an SMS when your address is updated.
- You will receive the updated Aadhaar letter on the updated address. You can also download it from: https://eaadhaar.uidai.gov.in/#/