Permanent Account Number (PAN), the ten-digit alphanumeric ID issued by the Income Tax Department serves as both an ID proof and is one of the essential document when it comes to tax matters i.e. for filing tax returns as well as for other issues concerning tax-assessment. The department issuing the unique ID carries out third-party verification for cross-checking the identity as well as address of PAN applicants together with the authenticity of documents furnished as valid proofs for PAN application.
And now individuals as well as entities from the comfort of their home can verify or know their PAN through the online route. The facility is known as PAN verification or Know your PAN.
Further there are 3 methods of PAN card verification through the online route which are listed as though:
1. File-based PAN Card Verification: The mode is generally used by larger organizations or government where at one stretch they would verify up to 1,000 PAN cards.
2. Screen-Based PAN Card Verification: In this process up to 5 PAN cards are verified at one go. And users need to provide maximum of 5 PANs in the boxes that show on the screen and click on the submit option. The response giving details of PAN will appear in the response screen.
3. Software (API)-Based PAN Card Verification: With the help of a software application, a person can verify his or her PAN online by visiting the verification portal.
How to verify PAN Card online?
PAN holder can now verify his or her PAN card online without having to visit the income tax office by following the below listed steps:
1. Visit Income tax e-filing portal and login into your e-filing account
2. Navigate to Profile settings and then on select My Profile option to view the details
3. Here you are required to key in your details including full name, date of birth and your PAN number.
4. Now, you need to provide the status of your PAN card as in it is for an individual, company or HUF etc.
5. Then enter the captcha that appears on the site and click on submit option
6. Your PAN card will then appear along with the verification status
Process for bulk PAN verification
In case of bulk PAN verification i.e. in case of government and other non-government entities, user can register as an agency carrying out bulk PAN verification at www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
Now you need to go to Bulk PAN query and click on 'Upload Query'
Upload the query in the given format and now click on 'Submit' option
After you submit the query, a token number will generate
Here the status of the PAN uploaded via the query system will be shown