For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts

5 Ways To Submit Digital Life Certificate For Pensioners Residing Abroad


Pensioners from the Central Government and Defense personnel who live abroad get their pensions via Pension Disbursing Authorities (PDAs) such as banks, post offices, and other financial institutions. In November of each year, pensioners are obliged to submit a "Life Certificate" to these PDAs, either visiting physically or by delivering a life certificate online in the appropriate format. Those over the age of 80 have to submit their life certificate between October 1 and November 30. It must be physically submitted at a bank or post office, or doorstep services must be used or online. For pensioners residing abroad, the Department of Pension and Pensioners' Welfare (DoPPW) has suggested many ways to submit their life certificates.

5 Ways To Submit Digital Life Certificate For Pensioners Residing Abroad
  • The life certificate may be certified by an officer of the Reserve Bank of India if the pensioner/family pensioner is residing overseas and receiving his/her pension/family pension from any bank listed in the Second Schedule to the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934. A pensioner or family pensioner is exempted from personal appearance if he or she can submit a Life Certificate approved by the bank's above-mentioned officer.
  • Personal appearance is eliminated for a pensioner/family pensioner who is not resident in India and whose legally authorised agent furnishes a life certificate signed by a Magistrate, Notary, Banker, or a Diplomatic Representative of India.
  • Through an Aadhaar-based biometric authentication system, a pensioner or family pensioner may also submit a Digital Life Certificate online at Jeevan Pramaan Portal (
  • As an instance, if NRI pensioners/family pensioners are unable to return to India for personal identification, a pension/family pension may be granted on the basis of a certificate approved by an authorised official of the Indian Embassy/High Commission of India or Consul of the Indian Consulate in the country where the pensioner/family pensioner resides. This certificate will be granted upon verification of the Pensioner/Family Pensioner using the photograph attached in the PPO or the photograph attached on the Passport or any other relevant document.
  • If the pensioner/family pensioner is unable to reach the Embassy of India/Consulate, he/she may submit the necessary documents, including a Doctor's Certificate demonstrating the pensioner's/family pensioner's reluctance to present himself/herself in person, to the Embassy/Consulate. Pensioners/family pensioners may also seek assistance from the Embassy of India/High Commission/Indian Consulate for submitting the Life Certificate.

In order to resolve any query, pensioners residing abroad can call 1800 111 555 or send an email at jeevanpramaan[at]gov[dot]in.

Story first published: Sunday, October 10, 2021, 10:46 [IST]
Company Search
Get Instant News Updates
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X