A PAN card is required for a variety of purposes, namely opening a Demat account, opening a bank account, claiming an income tax refund, purchasing and selling immovable assets, making cash transactions exceeding Rs 50,000, and so on. If you don't link your Permanent Account Number (PAN card) to your Aadhaar card by April 1, it will become null. Unless the government extends the date again, the timeframe to link the documents is March 31, 2021 as of now and all PAN cards that are not linked to Aadhaar will be considered "inoperative" and useless after the last date. If your PAN is not linked to your Aadhaar, you will be unable to conduct any financial transactions. If you fail to link the two documents by the timeline, your PAN becomes inactive, and it is alleged that you have not provided your PAN as required by law, you may be subject to a penalty of Rs 10,000 under Section 272B of the Income Tax Act. So if you don't want to face the penalty link you PAN with Aadhaar by following the below covered ways before March 31-2021.
Procedure to link PAN with Aadhaar online
- Visit the official site of the Income Tax Department (https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home) and click on the link 'Link AADHAAR' option on the homepage.
- Now enter your PAN Card number, Aadhaar card number, name as mentioned on the AADHAAR card.
- Enter the captcha code and click on the 'Link AADHAAR' option
- The linking of your PAN and Aadhaar number is now complete. The Income Tax Department will cross-check your name, date of birth, and gender with your Aadhaar details before linking successfully.
Procedure to link PAN with Aadhaar by SMS
- To link your PAN with Aadhaar, type UIDPAN (12-digit Aadhaar number) (10-digit PAN number) and send it to 567678 or 56161.
- You can verify whether your PAN card is linked to AADHAAR or not on the official portal of I-T Department, follow the steps below for the same.
Steps to check PAN-Aadhaar linking status online
- Visit https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home and click on 'Link AADHAAR status'
- Now enter your PAN and Aadhaar number, click on 'Submit'
- Upon successful authentication, the status of your PAN-Aadhaar linking will be displayed on your device screen.
Steps to check PAN-Aadhaar linking status by SMS
- To check your PAN and Aadhaar linking status, type UIDPAN (12-digit AADHAAR) (10-digit PAN) and send it to 56768 or 56161.
- If you want to physically link your PAN card and Aadhaar, you can go to a PAN service centre. You'll need to fill out a form called 'Annexure-I,' as well as supporting documents like a copy of your PAN and Aadhaar card.