Earlier to this, last year, the Indian government announced their efforts to work on a WhatsApp-chat-like application. It seems that the app is now available and goes through the initial monitoring stage by ministry officials with the new updates. In addition, the government officials in certain ministries have also begun using GIMS or short form for the Government Instant Messaging System. The National Informatics Centre (NIC) has established the Government Instant Messaging System (GIMS) for use by any government employee or public person, for official or personal use. Any individual can make use of the application with a valid mobile number or email ID. The app is also available on Android and iOS platforms and can also be used on desktop for management and tracking.
How can you get the GIMS app?
To download or update the app for Android users, they can visit the Google Play Store and download the app by searching for the same app. To download or update an app for iOS users: search for GIMS Instant in the App Store, and then download and install it from the App Store. GIMS app is available on both Android and iOS platforms. Users can back up their chats by uploading them to email, but there is no alternative between platforms to transfer the chat history.
How to do registration?
- You can use your mobile e-mail ID number to enroll with GIMS for the first time once you log into the GIMS Mobile App. Using any of the two methods to download the GIMS App from the Play store or App Store and login.
- For mobile registration, from the drop-down menu, select the country code and enter your correct or existing mobile number.
- In order to make registration via email you can even provide your email ID instead of mobile number.
- Once you are done with the above you will get an OTP on your email ID or mobile number which you need to authenticate.
- Now specify the basic required details such as Name/Gender and allow all the permissions.
- Once asked, sync your contacts and you are all ready to use the app.
Steps to register for overseas users
- Please download the GIMS App and tap 91 to receive the list of country code.
- Now select your country from the list and enter your mobile number.
- Authenticate the OTP that you received on your mobile number and you are done.
How to provide your occupation details as a state government employee?
- Open the app and navigate to the 'Settings' option
- Tap on your profile picture and select occupation details
- Select from the menu the radio icon in front of the Government of India (Indian Govt).
- Choose one of the Central, State, Panchayat, ULB and Judiciary alternatives, based on your employment.
How to provide your occupation details as a central government employee?
From the drop-down list, tap and pick the correct choice for each of the details, such as Ministry, Name of Organization, Department and your Job Profile/Designation.
To update your occupation details, tap the top right corner of the app.
The Govt. Verified Users are those individuals whose profession details have been confirmed by their respective managers of the company. Such subscribers will have a noticeable tick mark on their profile. Public users are usually residents or government users. Users that have yet to be confirmed. Any adjustment in profile will modify their status as Unverified users for users who have filled out their profession details as government employees, and their Organization Administrator will need to confirm them anew.
Users can use the GIMS Instant Chat option to chat with all individuals in the address book. Users can also deliver a message at the same time to several recipients, using the 'Broadcast Message' menu feature It is actually possible to add 10 contacts to a broadcast list and only text messages can be sent or delivered.
Privacy and sharing
By selecting the messages and using the send email functionality, you can forward the message(s) to any email from GIMS. Any message can also be picked and copied to be pasted straight into the text. In addition, there is end-to-end encryption for one-to-one messages and group conversations.
The feature of the GIMS App is to classify a message as Confidential, Priority or Auto Delete.
Confidential, priority and auto-delete tag
If a user needs to distinguish between messages to indicate that the message is confidential, both in individual and group chat, he can use the Confidential Mark. This is for the benefit of display only and allows the recipient(s) to keep this as a confidential concern. Priority Tag is used to distinguish between individual and group chat messages in order to indicate to the recipient that the message should be treated on a priority basis. In individual and group chat, the Auto Delete tag is used anytime a user wishes to send a message such that it is instantly deleted after it has been read by the receiver.
App integration and dashboard facility
With DigiLocker, GIMS is incorporated. You can upload any PDF document obtained through GIMS to DigiLocker. Users can use the GIMS Chatbot service, which offers multiple government entities / initiatives via dashboards.
- There can be a limit of 200 participants in an official group.
- A limit of 50 participants can be a non-official group.
- You will have a limit of 10 contacts at a time on a broadcast list.
- It only supports the following types of files: documents (doc, docx, xls, xlsx, ppt, pptx, pdf), images (jpeg, jpg, png), audio (mp3, m4a), video (mp3, m4a) (mp4).