As per National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) rules, all vehicles are required to get their FASTags for toll- payment by 15 December. On failure to comply, one will have to pay twice the toll at national highways.
You can avail the FASTag service with a wallet at the HDFC Bank without having a saving account with them. The private bank provides offers like cashback on payments made at toll booths at the national highway.
What is a FASTag?
FASTag is an initiative introduced by the NHAI in association with National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) for making automated payment deductions at toll plazas using prepaid rechargeable tags that work on RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) technology.
Normally affixed to the vehicle's windscreen, a FASTag enables payment of toll with just a momentary slowdown. When the vehicle reaches the toll plaza, a reader will detect the chip on the tag and deduct the toll amount from the bank account or prepaid wallet linked to the FASTag.
Features of HDFC Bank FASTag
- HDFC Bank will charge Rs 400 at the time of purchase of the FASTag. Of the total, Rs 100 is FASTag issuance fees (including taxes), Rs 200 is towards refundable security deposit while the rest of Rs 100 will be utilised for the first recharge for the FASTag wallet that will be created.
- No need to pay the one-time issuance fee of Rs 100 if you register for HDFC Bank FASTag before 31 December 2019.
- These tags are valid for 5 years.
- Customer will receive SMS and e-mail alerts on his/her registered contact.
- Users can earn 2.5 percent Cashback on all transactions made at National Highways.
- 5 percent cashback on reload using HDFC Bank Debit and Credit Cards. (Valid till 31 December 2019)
- Rs 100 cashback on their first load on the FASTag card using HDFC Bank cards. (Valid till 31 December 2019)
How to buy FASTag at HDFC Bank online?
- You can select "FASTag" under "What Are You Looking For?" and click on "Apply Online" or visit https://getprepaidcard.hdfcbank.com/fastag/
- In the webpage that follows, select "Yes" or " No" for the question "Do you have a HDFC Bank Savings Account?"
- If you have an HDFC Bank savings account, enter your customer ID and verification code that will be sent to your registered mobile number. If you do not have a bank account with them, continue with the vehicle and other KYC details required.
- Select type of vehicle and other details about the vehicle and click on "next."
- You will also have to upload a copy of your Registration Certificate in the next step.
- A FASTag account and wallet will be created. Details on these will be emailed to you. The FASTag will be shipped to your registered address.
Alternative ways to purchase HDFC Fastag
You can also purchase an HDFC Fastag via e-commerce websites like Amazon. On purchase, an online activation link will be provided to submit vehicle registration number and other KYC related information.
How to buy HDFC Tag Offline?
There are multiple authorised agent sales offices of HDFC Bank that issue FASTag. They will create an account for you on the spot if you carry your original ID proof and other KYC documents along with copies of each.
You will be required to submit copies of the registration certificate of your car, driving license, PAN, Aadhaar, etc along with a passport size photograph. The customer will also be required to fill and sign FASTag application form.
On submission of all required documents and fee, the bank officials will hand over a FASTag to you.
How to use a FASTag?
- Affix the FASTag on the vehicle's windshield.
- Add money to your HDFC Bank FASTag account which will be linked to your unique FASTag number.
- Enter dedicated FASTag lane at any National Highway Toll Plaza. The tag reader at Toll Plaza reads your vehicle's FASTag, and applicable toll charges get deducted from the FASTag wallet account.
- The boom barrier will open on payment, for your vehicle to pass.
How to recharge HDFC Bank FASTag?
You can recharge a FASTag by making a payment towards the HDFC Bank FASTag account via cheque or online payment.
Online payment can be made through NEFT, RTGS, credit card or debit card. KYC compliant customers can recharge up to Rs 1 lakh towards the FASTag at once.
As per the website, convenience fee on recharges made online will be charged in the following manner:
- Credit card: 1.10 percent of the transaction value
- Debit card: 1 percent of the transaction value
- Net-banking: Rs 8
In addition, applicable taxes will be charged.
How to recharge FASTag via HDFC Bank Netbanking?
- Use the dedicated HDFC FASTag portal (https://v1.hdfcbank.com/htdocs/common/fastag/pay-toll-online.html) and login into the retail customer segment.
- Login using the User ID, which is a 12-digit numeric number beginning with the digits 17 or 18 that you can find in the welcome mailer sent to your registered e-mail ID/ mobile number. If you cannot find your user ID, you could also login using your 14-digit Wallet ID or vehicle registration number.
- Go to 'Road User Centre', click on 'Payment and Top Up' and select the 'Recharge' tab.
- Select wallet ID to be recharged and enter the amount to be loaded in the prepaid wallet.
- Choose 'Pay by Online', click 'Continue' and proceed.
- In the new window, select your bank among options and click on 'Continue.' Follow instructions.