Once a year, pensioners are required to furnish a "Life Certificate" to Pension Disbursing Authorities (PDAs) such as the banks, the post offices etc. either by presenting themselves personally or by delivering a life certificate in the prescribed format.
In 2014, to lower hardships to aged pensioners, the government had launched Digital Life Certificate for Pensioners Scheme of the Government of India (EPS), known as the Jeevan Pramaan.
Jeevan Pramaan enables the pensioner to generate a digital life certificate using a software application and secure Aadhaar based Biometric Authentication System. The Digital Life Certificate (DLC) generated is stored online and can be accessed by the pensioner & the Pension Disbursing Agency as and when required by them.
Earlier this week, the Employees' Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) said that pensioners of the Employees' Pension Scheme 1995 could submit their life certificates to continue drawing pension through the Umang app, the EPFO's regional and district offices, pension disbursing banks and post offices.
Earlier, the pensioners would have to submit their certificates in November but now, especially due to the pandemic situation, they can submit it at any time of the year.
Requirements to get Jeevan Pramaan over UMANG app
To be able to generate Jeevan Pramaan Certificate or Digital Life Certificate, the pensioner needs to have Aadhaar. Further, a mobile number needs to be registered with the Aadhar (for OTP based authentication) and needs to be in active condition.
The Aadhaar also needs to be registered with the Pension Disbursing Agency (that is your bank, etc) as it is required to process the pension.
Make sure the mobile phone you use supports *USB OTG (On the Go). Also, ensure that the "OTG" permission is enabled as a few of the handsets ask for specific permissions. The OTG is a feature on your phone that allows USB devices, like a biometric reader to be attached to it to use it (phones) as a host and supply power to the biometric device so that it can be used.
Steps to download/generate life certificate on UMANG app
- Download the UMANG app on your smartphone. Look for UMANG by MeitY, Government of India.
- Open the app on your phone and create an account by choosing the "Register" option on the app.
- Once registration has been completed and you have logged into the account, tap on "Social Security" within "Categories".
- Then tap on "Jeevan Pramaan" in the next page.
- In the next page choose the "Generate Life Certificate" option.
- For user authentication purposes, you will have to enter the Aadhaar and mobile number of the pensioner.
- Tap on "Generate OTP".
- You will be taken to "Select the Biometric device" screen. Pick the one from the list connected with the handset.
- In the next screen, tap on the "Install" option which shall take to the RD service mobile application as provided by the device manufacturer. After installing the RD service, wait for a few minutes for the device to update. You can refer the user manual provided by the device manufacturer for help.
- After installing RD Service, return to the UMANG app and tap on "Next". An OTP will be sent on the mobile number entered in Step 6. Enter the OTP and tap on "Submit".
- You will see a message saying "Installed" on the screen, indicating the installation of the RD service Mobile app from the device manufacturer.
- The Pensioner Authentication Screen will appear on the next page. Here enter pensioner's details like name, PPO number, account no, e-mail. Choose appropriate pension-type, sanctioning authority, disbursing agency, agency from the drop-down list, select remarried options, re-Employed options.
- Also, click the small grey box. Read the consent before tapping on "submit".
- Click on "Scan Finger" and place your finger on the Biometric device.
- On successful authentication, the life certificate of the pensioner is displayed. The life certificate has a unique Pramaan ID, which shall be SMSed to the pensioner on the mobile number provided by him/her in the previous steps.
- The Pramaan ID can be used anytime to download the digital life certificate from the service "View Life Certificate" available on UMANG app.