In August 2014, the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) was initiated in India. This is a nationwide project to achieve financial empowerment and make it convenient and available to all parts of the population for a variety of financial services such as savings, deposits, banking, credit, remittance, insurance and pension. PMJDY seeks to offer financial support to the low-income categories of the public at a reasonable rate and minimize poverty in India. An eligible individual can open an account with any one of the banks or with a Business Correspondent (Bank Mitr) network under the PMJDY scheme. Under this program, individuals can open a zero balance account and if they wish to get a cheque book, they must keep a certain minimum balance.
Procedure for regular customers
For banking customers in India, the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has established the *99# service. Anyone who has a bank account with any bank can use this code for mobile banking. The only requirement is that a mobile phone, smartphone or even a standard phone must be kept handy by the account holder. The mobile must be activated by GSM. This service cannot be used by holders with CDMA handsets.
You must have your mobile number linked with your account to check the Jan Dhan Yojana account balance using this service. Your mobile banking account must also be active. You can get started with the *99# service if all these standards are fulfilled. To check the balance of your Jan Dhan Yojana account using this service, follow the below-listed steps:
- Dial *99# from your mobile phone and a welcome message will be received by you on your phone. You will be asked to enter any of the specifics i.e. the first three letters of your bank's name or first four letters of IFSC Code of your bank.
- Before using this service, you must first validate and know the correct short name or IFSC code for your bank.
- Once you are done with the above steps hit 'Ok' and a list of facilities provided under this facility will be found. The balance enquiry is the first choice that begins with serial number 1.
- If the balance in your Jan Dhan Yojana account needs to be checked, press '1' and then press 'Submit'
- You can see the balance of your account reflected on the phone screen after the authorization screen.
How SBI customers can check PM Jan Dhan Account balance?
The Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Account, introduced under the government's Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY), is one of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's most valuable initiatives for our Indian citizens. The highest Jan Dhan accounts are kept by the State Bank of India (SBI), the largest Indian commercial bank of the country. The bank has unveiled a new facility for the advantage of SBI customers, from which individuals will be able to conveniently check their account balance from the comfort of their home or workplace.
Steps to check PM Jan Dhan account balance for SBI customers
Last year, the State Bank of India introduced a new facility for those who have opened PM Jan Dhan Accounts. SBI customers can check the balance of their PM Jan Dhan account by following the steps below:
- By dialing 18004253800 or 1800112211, the holder of PMJDY can verify the balance of his or her account. This number must be accessed by the SBI customer from his or her registered mobile number.
- He/she can get details of the last five transactions and also his/her account balance in this manner.
- In addition, all these details can also be accessed by SBI customers by dialling 9223766666 from their registered mobile number.