On Friday, messaging platform WhatsApp popped out UPI payment services for its users. Folks throughout India are now able to send and receive money via WhatsApp through this facility. In collaboration with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), WhatsApp has devised this payment feature. Users must have a bank account and debit card in India to transfer money on WhatsApp. You can even do it through WhatsApp if you haven't set up a UPI linked to your bank account. Payments are accessible in India's ten different regional languages of WhatsApp. Considering the same, users have to get a bank debit card that allows UPI and the current version of WhatsApp for Android or iOS. In order to send money on WhatsApp, you need to follow the below-listed procedure.
Steps to add a bank account
- Open the WhatsApp Messenger App in your mobile and tap on the three-dotted icon (located in the top-right corner of the home screen).
- Now head to the 'Payment Option' and a list of banks will appear on your device screen. Note: You can only select the bank account that is linked with your existing mobile number as used to register for WhatsApp.
- Now the app will ask for your UPI PIN if you already have a UPI account in order to proceed further. In case you don't have a UPI account you need to verify your account by submitting the required debit card details. (Note: Try again after some time if you see an error message at this point).
- The setup will be successfully completed once you are done with the above-listed steps.
Steps to send money through WhatsApp
- Open the chat screen of the individual to whom you are willing to send money on WhatsApp.
- Now tap on the 'Attachment' icon and select 'Payment' option
- Now enter the amount you want to send on the required space and tap on 'Send'
- Your money will be successfully transferred once your UPI PIN is verified.
Steps to send money to other UPI app users such as PhonePe or Google Pay
- Open the WhatsApp Messenger app in your mobile and go to the 'Settings' option
- Now tap on 'Payments' and then select 'New Payment'
- Now select the 'Send to a UPI ID' option and enter the UPI ID of the individual to whom you are going to send money.
- Tap 'Verify' and enter the amount that you want to transfer
- Tap 'Enter' and enter your UPI PIN in order to complete the payment procedure
Steps to send money using QR Code on WhatsApp
- Open WhatsApp and tap on 'More Options'
- Select 'New Payment' and then tap 'QR Code'
- Scan the recipient's QR code and enter the amount to initiate payment
- Enter your UPI PIN and you are done
Note: As of now, Axis Bank, the State Bank of India, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank and Jio Payments Bank are active on WhatsApp payments feature. As WhatsApp claims, these transactions are built with a broad set of standards of security and confidentiality, such as submitting a personal UPI PIN for each transaction.