A fake mobile number fraud occurs when a scammer purchases a new SIM card for a mobile number on behalf of your name or an identity card, such as an Aadhaar card, which serves as a vital form of identification in our nation. It is also crucial to verify how many mobile numbers are registered against your Aadhaar Card to avoid identity theft at the time when your mobile number should be linked with your Aadhaar Card to enjoy all Aadhaar related services given by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). The Department of Telecommunications has launched a platform where an Aadhaar cardholder can monitor how many SIM cards are issued on behalf of his or her name or identity.
The new portal is dubbed as The Telecom Analytics for Fraud management and Consumer Protection (TAFCOP) where users are provided with services by alerting them of the number of mobile number connections that are there on behalf of their identity without their knowledge. Individuals can utilise the portal to identify and report mobile phone numbers that are no longer in use and upon successful submission of your request if any the TAFCOP portal will block or deactivate the mobile number. Individuals may also check the status of their applications by signing in with their mobile number and entering the "Ticket ID Ref No" under the "Request Status" section.
Facilities provided by TAFCOP
The TAFCOP portal has mentioned on its website that "The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has taken several measures to ensure proper allocation of telecom resources by Telecom Service Providers (TSPs) to subscribers and protect their interests in ensuring reduction of frauds. As per existing guidelines, individual mobile subscribers can register up to nine mobile connections in their name." The department has further mentioned that "This website has been developed to help subscribers, check the number of mobile connections working in their name, and take necessary action for regularising their additional mobile connections if any. However, the primary responsibility of handling the Customer Acquisition Form (CAF) lies with the service providers." Below is the list of facilities that are currently being provided by TAFCOP for the users of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
- Users with more than nine multiple connections will receive an SMS alert for the same.
- Users with more than nine multiple connections in their name can report for the same on the portal.
- Users can also check the status of their report by entering the "Ticket ID Ref No" in the "Request Status" box.
Steps to check the number of mobile connections that are linked with your Aadhaar
By following the steps below, you can check the mobile number connections that are linked on behalf of your Aadhaar:
- Visit https://tafcop.dgtelecom.gov.in/ and enter the mobile number that you need to verify.
- Click on "Request OTP" and enter the 6-digit OTP you have received.
- Now click on "Validate" and you will get the list of mobile numbers registered on your IDs.
- According to the website "You may choose to select the numbers that are not in your name or not required, and submit your Report. No action is required for the numbers you need to retain. If your mobile number is activated as corporate connection then all related mobiles of your corporate will be listed."
- You can select the number and take the appropriate action such as This is not my number, Not required, and Required. By marking your action you can click on "Report" for effective submission of your request.