If you have a RuPay Debit card then you are eligible to free accidental insurance. Most people are not aware of this free accidental insurance on the debit card. Having a Debit card automatically makes you eligible for the free insurance, however, this insurance is not any life insurance, medical insurance, or health insurance, this is purely accidental insurance and can only be claimed if the conditions are fulfilled on the death or the permanent disability of the cardholder. In case of the death of the cardholder, the family of the cardholder can claim the insurance following all the necessary conditions and procedures.
Below we have discussed the RuPay card types, insurance provider, claim preocess, documents required and others things. However, in case of any query, the cardholder is advised to contact the respective bank for more deatils.
The Non-premium RuPay cardholders will get the insurance cover from New India Assurance, while the Premium cardholder will get the insurance cover from TATA AIG.
Types of Card
There are 2 types of RuPay cards available in the market, Premium and Non-Premium. These two categories of the card are further categorized into sub-categories, which are mentioned below. Point to remember, the insurance amount changes depending on the card type.
Classic RuPay Card
The Classic RuPay Cardholders are not eligible for the free insurance cover on their Classic RuPay Cards.
Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojna Card (Old) - Issued before 28/08/18
If you have this card, you are eligible for Rs 1 Lakh accidental free insurance
Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojna Card (New) - Issued after 28/08/18
If you have this card, you are eligible for Rs 2 Lakh accidental free insurance
All documents are to be received at The New India Assurance Co. Ltd. office at the below-mentioned address:
Senior Divisional Manager Department - RuPay Insurance Program The New India Assurance Co. Ltd. DO 142300 1 st Floor, NCL Premises Plot No. C-6, Bandra Kurla Complex Bandra East, Mumbai- 400051
Premium RuPay Card
If you have this card you are eligible for Rs 2 Lakh accidental free insurance
Select RuPay Card
If you have this card you are eligible for Rs 10 Lakh accidental free insurance
All documents are to be received at TATA - AIG General Insurance Co. Ltd office at the below-mentioned address:
TATA - AIG General Insurance Co. Ltd A-501, 5th Floor, Bldg No - 4, Infinity Park, Dindoshi, Malad (East) Mumbai- 400097
To avail of the free accidental insurance on your RuPay Debit card, you don't have to pay any line of premium unlike Regular Health or Life Insurance cover. You are automatically eligible for the insurance if you are a RuPay Card (except classic card) Holder. However, there are some conditions you need to fulfill to get covered or claim your insurance amount. The cardholder should have used the card for transaction purposes in the last 90/45 days before the accident to claim the sum assured amount. If the card was not used in the last 90/45 days and the cardholder met with an accident, the insurance can't be claimed.
- All the claims where an incident has happened in the financial year 2020-21, should be intimated to the dedicated claims email address firstname.lastname@example.org, for premium RuPay cardholders, email@example.com.
- A printed copy of the captioned intimation email should be sent to The New India Assurance Co. Ltd. along with all other documents. If you are a premium RuPay cardholder, TATA AIG will register the claim and provide the claim number to the Member.
- Claim intimation should be within 90 days from the date of the accident. In a case where a person is hospitalized (and under a critical condition) and is unable to file a claim within 90/45 (Non-Premium/Premium) days of loss or incident such claim cases will be accepted by The New India Assurance Co. Ltd. For investigation and honored, if all terms under the policy are met as on date of the accident.
- Nominee/Cardholder Aadhaar Number
- Post-Mortem report/death report (in death case),
- discharge report
- Compliance of 90/45 days transaction
- FIR copy
- RePay card number
- Bank declaration
The reminders shall be sent by the respective insurance provider to Member Bank at regular intervals for pending claim documents, a communication via letter in hard copy/email will be sent to the client with a defined timeline. All emails sent for the purpose of follow-up should be marked to NPCI Insurance mail id firstname.lastname@example.org.
The reminder process would be the same for the documents deficiency also.
1st reminder T+61
2nd reminder T+81
Closure Letter T+90
Note - T is Date of Intimation