Every employee who contributes to the EPF is given a 12-digit universal account number, or UAN. The Employee Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) generates and allocates it, and the Ministry of Labour and Employment of the Government of India authenticates it. An employee's UAN stays the same throughout his or her employment, regardless of how many jobs he or she has changed. EPFO assigns a new member identification number or EPF Account (ID) to each employee who changes his or her job. This number is linked to the UAN. As an employee, you can file a request for a new member ID to your new employer by submitting your UAN. Only after a member ID is generated, it is linked to the employee's UAN. As a result, the UAN will serve as a unified identity for the employee's various Member Ids assigned by various employers. The Employees' Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has set up an online framework that allows you to create a Universal Account Number (UAN) using your Aadhaar specifics. Only those who have registered their mobile number with Aadhaar will be able to generate their UAN because it is a one-time password (OTP) enabled operation. You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number, and after authentication, the system will retrieve standard information such as your name, date of birth, and other specifics, which will be displayed on the device screen. The UAN is generated after you validate and submit the form. This will then be handed over to the new boss or employer. To generate a new UAN using Aadhaar follow the steps covered below.
Steps to generate UAN using Aadhaar
- Visit https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface and click on the link "Online Aadhaar Verified UAN Allotment" option on the login screen.
- Now you need to enter your Aadhaar number and click on 'Generate OTP'. Once done you will get an OTP on your Aadhaar-linked mobile number.
- Enter the OTP in order to verify the same and accept the disclaimer.
- Click on 'Submit' and the basic specifics of your Aadhaar will be displayed on your device screen.
- Now you can double-check the details and fill in the gaps on the screen with the required specifics.
- After entering the captcha and marking the box in the disclaimer section, click the Register icon.
- The UAN will be issued and displayed as a message to the individual after hitting the "Register" icon.
How to verify whether UAN is linked with Aadhaar or not?
EPFO has launched a new service that allows you to check if your UAN is linked to Aadhaar or not. Follow the steps for the same:
- Visit https://iwu.epfindia.gov.in/eKYC/trackingUanStatus
- Now enter your UAN number and click on 'Submit'
- Different notifications will appear on your device screen depending on whether your Aadhaar link is effective or not.