The Aadhaar card has now established itself as one of the most important forms of identification. It has a unique 12-digit identification number issued by the UIDAI on behalf of the Government of India (Unique Identification Authority of India). Your Aadhaar Card can now be linked to your driver's licence. To receive government subsidies under various schemes, Aadhaar is now required. According to media reports, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has begun to develop simple methods for linking Aadhaar with the driving licences of Indian residents. From receiving government benefits to applying for jobs, the Aadhaar Card is accepted as proof of identity. Here are some simple steps to link your Aadhaar Card to your driving licence.
The Advantages of Linking a Driver's Licence to an Aadhaar Card-
- The entire operation will be brought under one roof by linking Aadhar to a driver's licence.
- The Aadhaar-based unified platform will enable authorised agencies in India to obtain and verify each car owner's licence details.
- The authorised agencies will be able to tell the difference between genuine and counterfeit driving licences.
- Transportation authorities will be able to identify forged documents and take appropriate action if a person holds multiple licences.
- The information provided by the drivers will be stored in a centralised online database. The data will be accessible throughout India, preventing duplicate licences from being issued.
- The entire process will be completed electronically. Individuals will be issued a driving licence 72 hours after passing the driving test, as opposed to manual procedures.
- There will be fewer road accidents because no one will be able to obtain a licence unless they pass the driving test.
- Various transportation-related operations will now be more efficient and convenient.
Simple steps on Linking Aadhaar with Driving Licences Online
Driving licences are issued by the Road Transport Department of each state or union territory. As a result, the online method for connecting Aadhaar to driving licences differs by state. The overall process, however, will not change. Here are the steps for linking driving licences to Aadhaar online:
Step 1: Go to the website of your state/department UT's of transportation.
Step 2: Select the "Aadhaar Link" option.
Step 3: Select "Driving License" from the drop-down menu.
Step 4: Now enter your driver's licence number and select "Get Details."
Step 5: In the fields provided, enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number and mobile number (Remember that your mobile number should be the one registered with UIDAI)
Step 6: To finish the process, click the "Submit" button.
Step 7: You will then receive the OTP on your registered mobile device.
Step 8: Enter the OTP to finish linking Aadhaar to driving licences.
Can you link your e-Aadhaar card to your driving licence?
Yes, you can use your e-Aadhaar card to link it to your driving licence. It makes no difference whether you have an e-Aadhaar or a hard copy of it. The reason for this is that you only need to enter the 12-digit number on your Aadhaar card, which is the same everywhere, whether you get it from your e-Aadhaar or a hard copy of the same.