It is now much simpler to open a National Pension System (NPS) account than it was recently. The PFRDA has made it possible to join the NPS by completing an online Aadhaar e-KYC. In the e-NPS framework, the NSDL - CRA has allowed the Aadhaar-based online e-KYC authentication mechanism for subscriber registration. E-NPS is the electronic NPS onboarding platform operated by the Central Record Keeping Agencies (CRA) approved by PFRDA, by which one can apply for NPS and contribute digitally, as well as access their Tier II account if they are already a subscriber. Currently, e NPS registration is done via Aadhaar Offline e-KYC or PAN & Bank Account. Subscribers can now register in the NPS portal using Aadhaar-based online e-KYC authentication. Aadhaar Number or 16 digit Virtual Identification (VID) Number issued by UIDAI and Aadhaar Registered Mobile Number are required for NPS Registration through Aadhaar. Here is the step-by-step guide following which you can open an NPS account online using Aadhaar.
Steps to open NPS account online using Aadhaar based eKYC
Follow the steps below to register for NPS using Aadhaar based eKYC:
- Visit eNPS portal and click on "National Pension System" and then click on "Registration"
- Now select the account opening category as "Individual Subscriber" or "Corporate Subscriber".
- Now select your applicant status as "Citizen of India" or "Non Resident of India (NRI)" or "Overseas Citizen of India (OCI)".
- During the registration process you must select "Aadhaar Online/Offline KYC" and then "Tier types" as Tier 1 or Tier 2 for account opening.
- Now enter your "Aadhaar" (12 digit) or "Virtual ID" (16 digit) number provided by UIDAI and click "Generate OTP"
- Now enter and verify the received OTP on your Aadhaar-linked mobile number.
- The demographic details such as Name, Gender, Date of Birth, Address, Photograph, etc will be generated from Aadhaar records after submission of OTP along with approval to use Aadhaar details.
- In order to complete the NPS registration process, you need to enter other mandatory details.
- Now you must make an NPS contribution and complete the online registration process using digital verification. For online authentication you can use the OTP sent to your registered mobile number, email address, or an eSign process.
How to link Aadhaar with NPS account online?
Keep the following points in mind while linking Aadhaar to your NPS account:
- The name on your PRAN (Permanent Retirement Account Number) and on your Aadhaar card should be the same.
- Even if he or she has submitted Aadhaar at the time of registration, the subscriber must complete the Aadhaar-NPS linking process.
- Only the Aadhaar OTP authentication method is used to link Aadhaar with NPS.
- To use this service, your mobile number must be linked to your Aadhaar number. If you haven't already done so, you must link your mobile number to Aadhaar.
- Only when the concerned Nodal officer approves the application, Aadhaar seeding for government employees is done.
Steps to link Aadhaar with NPS for existing subscribers
If you are an existing subscriber of NPS, you need to follow the below-given steps to link Aadhaar with your NPS account.
- Visit https://cra-nsdl.com/CRA/ and login to your NPS account.
- Click on "Update Aadhaar/Address Details" under the "Update Details" section
- Enter your Aadhaar number and click on the "Generate OTP" option.
- To authorise NSDL e-Gov to initiate the linking process, click the "Proceed" option.
- Now you will get an OTP on your registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP in the required space, verify the same and click on 'Continue'
- Your Aadhaar will be linked to your NPS account after effective authentication.
Steps to link Aadhaar with NPS for new subscribers
For new NPS subscribers, follow the steps below to link Aadhaar with your NPS account online:
- Visit https://enps.nsdl.com/eNPS/NationalPensionSystem.html and click 'National Pension System'
- Now click on 'Registration' and fill the new registration form.
- Now click on 'Generate OTP' and then you will get an OTP on your Aadhaar-linked mobile number.
- Enter the OTP in the space provided, verify the same and click on 'Continue'
- Now make the payment and generate your acknowledgement number.
- Now enter your registration details and click on 'Generate PRAN'
- Once the PRAN is generated, e-Sign the registration form and you are done.