In an e-mail communication dated June 5, the department of income tax asked taxpayers to re-register their DSC or digital signature certificate afresh from June 7th onwards. The mail by the department read, "Please ensure that you re-register your current valid DSC on the new e-filing portal https://www.incometax.gov.in from June 7th onwards.
The earlier DSC registration on the old portal cannot be migrated due to security and technical reasons."
The department of income tax on June 7 unveiled a new platform e-filing 2.0 i.e. a highly interactive and advanced version aiming at simplifying the e-filing procedure and other tax related matters.
Along with the DSC re-registration, the department has also asked taxpayers to update their profile including mobile number, email under 'primary contact', respond in respect of 'outstanding demand' and in a case if there is any 'pending action' to take necessary step on them.
What is a Digital Signature Certificate?
A DSC is an electronic edition of physical certificate that validates the identity of an individual. In tax matters, it is used for signing the documents electronically and for authenticating the electronic documents. Depending on the nature of transactions and its various uses, DSC is issued with a validity period of 1 year or 2 years. After the validity expires, DSC needs to be obtained through a fresh application. In a case if there are any changes in the personal information, while applying for a fresh DSC you need to make an application to get the same updated on the DSC.
How to Re-register your DSC on the new income tax e-filing portal or e-filing 2.0?
1. User or Income tax assessee would need to first login to his or her account via account credentials. For which the ID i.e. your PAN number is to be first entered
2. In the second step you need to check the box saying please confirm your secure access message. * Secure Access Message- This is your personalized message which is a proof of the fact that the website you have accessed is genuine. This can be updated by you in your 'profile' post login.
3. You need to enter the password of your income tax filing portal
4. Now after you enter these fields correctly, you will be taken to your e-filing account which will display the extent to which your profile with the department is updated.
5. Now on the top right corner below your name you will find an option 'My profile'. Click on the tab.
6. Then you will be taken to a new screen, wherein on the left hand side there will be options like My bank account, My demat account, Register DSC, E-filing vault higher security, click on 'Register DSC' option.
7. Now provide the linked e-mail Id and then choose the option saying 'I have downloaded and installed emsigner utility' and click on 'Continue'
8. In the last step, choose the provider and DSC. Also enter the provider password. Last click on 'Sign' option.
If the DSC is registered successfully or validation happens in a proper or successful way then a message will show giving the option to go to the dashboard.
Notably, the new e-filing site is not functioning very smoothly and the process of DSC re-registration got stuck after clicking on the 'register DSC' option. In fact an error occured saying 'Something went wrong, please try again after some time'