Quite apart from the vehicle registration certificate (RC) and insurance papers, a driving licence is among the most important documents for travellers. In all Indian states and union territories, a driver's driving licence is valid for 20 years or until the issuer reaches the age of 50 (whichever comes first). To prevent any complications, you should know how to renew your licence up to one year before it expires. The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) released a statement in March that listed 18 licence-related contactless services that can be accessed using Aadhaar authentication, including driving licence renewal. It is important to note that a driving licence can be renewed even after it has expired, as the applicant will be given a timeframe of up to one year before the licence expires permanently. Once the relaxation period expires, you'll need to have a new driving licence. Citizens will no longer be required to visit regional transport offices (RTOs) to renew their licence; now, they can do so online from the comfort of their own home. Let's check out the steps below:
Documents required (according to Parivahan Sewa portal)
- Driving Licence.
- Application Form No.2.
- Form No.1 (Self-declaration as to the physical fitness for Non-Transport Vehicles)
- Form No. 1A (Medical Certificate for Transport Vehicles only).
- Fees as prescribed along with user charges
A renewal application must be submitted no more than one month before the licence expires, according to Parivahan Sewa. If an application is late by more than five years after the licence expires, the applicant must complete all the necessary permits to receive a new licence. If the application for renewal is submitted prior to, or within 30 days of, the licence's expiration date, the licence will be renewed with effect from that date.
Steps to renew driving licence online
To renew your driving licence, follow the instructions below:
- Visit https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/ and head to the "Online Services" tab.
- Now click on "Driving Licence Related Services" and then select your state from the drop-down list.
- Select the RTO where you'd like to renew your driving licence.
- From the left-hand menu, select the "Apply Online" option.
- Select "Services on Driving Licence" from the drop-down list.
- Now 'Instructions for Application Submission' page will appear where you need to click on 'Continue'
- Now enter all the required details and click on 'Proceed'
- Now confirm the entered details and click on 'Continue'
- Choose the services you want to change on the next tab and click on "Proceed."
- Select RENEWAL option from the drop-down menu, fill in the necessary details, and click "Confirm."
- Now upload the required documents (if any). It's also likely that you'll be asked to submit a photo and a signature according to your state.
- Now pay the renewal fee and once the payment is successfully made, confirm all the details and print the acknowledgment.
- The new driving licence will be delivered to you by post once the approval process is completed.
Steps to apply for a duplicate driving licence online
- Take the steps below to get a duplicate driving licence:
- Visit https://parivahan.gov.in/ and click on "Online Services".
- Now select "Driving Licence Related Services" and select your state from the drop-down list.
- On the next page click on "Upload Documents" and you will be now asked to upload all the required documents.
- Once done click on 'Next' and select the "Fee Payment" option and then select "Next".
- Now select "Click here to continue e-Payment" and proceed for payment.
- Once the payment is complete, click "Continue" and then "Print Receipt."
How to check driving licence application status?
- After submitting your DL related application you can check the status by following the steps below:
- Visit parivahan.gov and select your state.
- On the left-hand side under "Driving Licence", click on "Apply Online".
- Now select "Application Status" from the menu and enter your Application Number, your date of birth, and click on 'Submit'.
- Once you enter the details, the status of your driving licence application will appear on your device screen.