We often resort to internet banking as it allows us to execute tasks in a swift and convenient manner. It is a herculean task in a fast-moving world to visit the branch and spend long hours waiting in the queue for your turn to come. Internet banking has brought a revolution and made almost all the banking features accessible simply with a click.
Amid the surging risks of phishing , identity theft, and hacking prevailing in online banking, it has become imperative to follow some safety tips. Thieves use several fraudulent means to obtain your confidential information. Check the tips given below for safe online banking:
1. It is important to access your bank website only by typing the URL in the address bar of browser.
2. You must remain highly vigilant while downloading applications from mobile app stores like Apple App store, Google Playstore, Windows Marketplace, etc. as some of the applications offering online banking may turn out be malicious.
3. We often receive some mails containing links. It is important to never click on any link to access the site about which you are not confident
4. Banks and their representatives never send you email/SMS or make you a call to seek your personal details, password, or one-time SMS password. If you get such e-mail/SMS or telephone phone, someone is trying to fraudulently withdraw money from your bank account via internet banking. You must ensure that you do not respond or entertain to these calls, e-mails, or messages. You should report instantly if you get such e-mail, call, or message, if you have mistakenly provided your confidential details.
5. You may receive a call/message/e-mail with a promise of reward and in return seek your personal details. Never ever entertain any such emails, calls, or messages if you want to keep your funds safe.
6. Never use any public computer to log into your bank account. Make sure that you avoid logging into your bank account at computers available in cyber cafes or libraries. As these are public places and there is a possibility of your password being traced or seen by someone else.
7. Check your saving account frequently after you make a transaction online to verify if the correct amount has been deducted. If you spot some discrepancies, bring it to the notice of your bank immediately.
8 Always use licensed anti-virus software for protecting your computer from latest viruses. It is because pirated anti-virus software may not offer adequate protection to your computer from new viruses prevailing now.
9 Immediately disconnect your internet connection when not in use. It is because hackers can access your computer through internet connection and steal your vital baking details. Disconnecting the internet will keep confidential data safe.
10. It is important to frequently change your password as it will keep your account safe.