Serving as a proof of identity Aadhaar Card or 12-digit Aadhaar number is the most important document for Indian residents. Regarding the usage of an Aadhaar Card, the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has mentioned on its website that "Aadhaar means foundation, therefore it is the base on which any delivery system can be built. Aadhaar can be used in any system which needs to establish the identity of a resident and/or provide secure access for the resident to services/benefits offered by the system."
As it is an important document to carry to use as proof of identity, Aadhaar Cardholders are required to keep it updated always. UIDAI also offers a range of services to update Aadhaar Card details. Users can update their name, address, date of birth, gender, mobile number, and photograph by visiting directly to the official website of UIDAI. But as an important update here we have picked up two services that have been discontinued by UIDAI.
Aadhaar Card Reprint
UIDAI has recently updated us via its Twitter handle that "Dear Resident, Order Aadhaar Reprint service has been discontinued, you can order Aadhaar PVC card online, instead. You can also take a print of your e-Aadhaar if you wish to keep it in a flexible paper format."
This implies that rather than reprinting an Aadhaar Card in case of loss or update, Aadhaar Cardholders can now download the new version of Aadhaar Card dubbed as Aadhaar PVC Card which is convenient to carry in your wallet and has a range of benefits and security features such as secure QR code, hologram, guilloche pattern, ghost image, and micro text.
As an important note for the Aadhaar Card holders going to download the PVC version, UIDAI has mentioned on its website that order Aadhaar PVC Card by paying Rs 50/-(inclusive of GST & Speed post charges), use your Aadhaar Number/Virtual Identification Number/EID to order Aadhaar card, and Aadhaar card comes with security features i.e. Digitally signed Secure QR code, Hologram, Ghost image, Guilloche pattern, etc.
One who wants to download Aadhaar PVC Card needs to visit https://residentpvc.uidai.gov.in/order-pvcreprint.php and enter the required details such as his or her Aadhaar Number, Virtual ID, or EID.
Aadhaar Address Validation Letter
For Aadhaar Cardholders who want to change their address details in their Aadhaar database, UIDAI has also recently Tweeted that "Dear Resident, the Address Validation Letter facility has been discontinued until further notice. Kindly request your address update using another valid PoA document."
Individuals can visit Self Service Update Portal (SSUP) or https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/ssup/ to update their address details online. On the SSUP portal of UIDAI, they are required to click on the ‘Proceed to Update Aadhaar' option and enter their 12-digit Aadhaar number. After that, they will get a one-time password on their registered mobile number and after verifying the same their address details in Aadhaar Card would be changed successfully.
As an important note UIDAI has mentioned on its website that "For other updates like Head of Family/Guardian details or Biometric update, resident will be required to visit Aadhaar Seva Kendra or Enrolment/Update Centre." For updating address details in Aadhaar Card, individuals should and should keep in mind that their mobile number should be registered or linked with their Aadhaar number for OTP verification.
Or else they can also visit their nearest Permanent Enrolment centre with any proof of address document if their mobile number is not registered with Aadhaar. Apart from the English language, individuals can also update address details in any local language such as Assamese, Bengali, English, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Odia, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu.
Upon successfully submitting the address change application, an individual can visit https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/checkSSUPStatus/checkupdatestatus and enter his or her 12 Digits Aadhaar Number (UID) to check the status of online Demographic update request using URN.
List of documents required to update address details in Aadhaar Card
According to the official website of UIDAI below are the proof of address (POA) documents from which anyone can be used to submit address change application.
- Bank Statement/ Passbook
- Post Office Account Statement/ Passbook
- Ration Card
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Government Photo ID cards/ service photo identity card issued by PSU
- Electricity Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Water Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Telephone Landline Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Property Tax Receipt (not older than 1 year)
- Credit Card Statement (not older than 3 months)
- Insurance Policy
- Signed Letter having Photo from Bank on letterhead
- Signed Letter having Photo issued by registered Company on letterhead
- Signed Letter having Photo issued by Recognized Educational Institution on letterhead or Photo ID having address issued by Recognized Educational Institution
- NREGA Job Card
- Arms License
- Pensioner Card
- Freedom Fighter Card
- Kissan Passbook
- CGHS/ ECHS Card
- Certificate of Address having photo issued by MP or MLA or MLC or Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update
- Certificate of Address issued by Village Panchayat head or its equivalent authority (for rural areas) on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Vehicle Registration Certificate
- Registered Sale/ Lease/ Rent Agreement
- Address Card having Photo issued by Department of Posts
- Caste and Domicile Certificate having Photo issued by State Govt
- Disability ID Card/ handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/ UT Governments/ Administrations
- Gas Connection Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Passport of Spouse
- Passport of Parents (in case of Minor)
- Allotment letter of accommodation issued by Central/ State Govt. (not more than 3 years old)
- Marriage Certificate issued by the Government, containing address
- Bhamashah Card/Jan-Aadhaar card issued by Govt. of Rajasthan
- Certificate from Superintendent/ Warden/ Matron/ Head of Institution of recognized shelter homes or orphanages etc. on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update
- Certificate of Address having photo issued by Municipal Councillor on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update
- Identity Card issued by recognized educational institutions
- SSLC book having photograph
- School Identity card
- School Leaving Certificate (SLC)/ School Transfer Certificate (TC), containing Name and Address
- Extract of School Records containing Name, Address and Photograph issued by Head of School
- Certificate of Identity containing Name, Address and Photo issued by Recognized Educational Institution signed by Head of Institute on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update
- Certificate of identity containing Name, DOB and Photograph issued by Employees¦ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update
Dear Resident, Order Aadhaar Reprint service has been discontinued, you can order Aadhaar PVC card online, instead. You can also take a print of your e-Aadhaar if you wish to keep it in a flexible paper format.— Aadhaar Help Centre (@Aadhaar_Care) May 26, 2021
Dear Resident, the Address Validation Letter facility has been discontinued until further notice. Kindly request your address update using another valid PoA document from the list https://t.co/2SCiYbP9ej.— Aadhaar Help Centre (@Aadhaar_Care) August 10, 2021