In case of having a wrong address in an Aadhaar Card or an Aadhaar Cardholder who has switched to a different location across India is required to update his or her address in Aadhaar Card. And for the same, the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) had already allowed Aadhaar Cardholders to update their address details without submitting address proof. However, according to a tweet from UIDAI, this service has now been terminated. Regarding the same, UIDAI has tweeted on 6 August 2021 that "Dear Resident, the Address Validation Letter facility has been discontinued until further notice. Kindly request your address update using another valid PoA document from the list."
Proof of address required for updating address details in Aadhaar Card online or offline
The POA (Proof of Address) documents comprising Name and Address are necessary for changing address details in Aadhaar Card online or offline, according to the list of approved supporting documents for verification released by UIDAI.
2. Bank Statement/ Passbook
3. Post Office Account Statement/ Passbook
4. Ration Card
5. Voter ID
6. Driving License
7. Government Photo ID cards/ service photo identity card issued by PSU
8. Electricity Bill (not older than 3 months)
9. Water Bill (not older than 3 months)
10. Telephone Landline Bill (not older than 3 months)
11. Property Tax Receipt (not older than 1 year)
12.Credit Card Statement (not older than 3 months)
13. Insurance Policy
14. Signed Letter having Photo from Bank on letterhead
15. Signed Letter having Photo issued by registered Company on letterhead
16. Signed Letter having Photo issued by Recognized Educational Institution on letterhead or Photo ID having address issued by Recognized Educational Institution
17. NREGA Job Card
19. Pensioner Card
20.Freedom Fighter Card
21. Kissan Passbook
22.CGHS/ ECHS Card
23.Certificate of Address having photo issued by MP or MLA or MLC or Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update.
24.Certificate of Address issued by Village Panchayat head or its equivalent authority (for rural areas) on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update.
25.Income Tax Assessment Order
26.Vehicle Registration Certificate
27. Registered Sale/ Lease/ Rent Agreement
28.Address Card having Photo issued by Department of Posts
29.Caste and Domicile Certificate having Photo issued by State Govt
30.Disability ID Card/ handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/ UT Governments/ Administrations
31. Gas Connection Bill (not older than 3 months)
32.Passport of Spouse
33.Passport of Parents (in case of Minor)
34.Allotment letter of accommodation issued by Central/ State Govt. (not more than 3 years old)
35.Marriage Certificate issued by the Government, containing address
36.Bhamashah Card/Jan-Aadhaar card issued by Govt. of Rajasthan
37. Certificate from Superintendent/ Warden/ Matron/ Head of Institution of recognized shelter homes or orphanages etc. on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update
38.Certificate of Address having photo issued by Municipal Councillor on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update
39.Identity Card issued by recognized educational institutions
40.SSLC book having photograph
41. School Identity card
42.School Leaving Certificate (SLC)/ School Transfer Certificate (TC), containing Name and Address
43.Extract of School Records containing Name, Address, and Photograph issued by Head of School
44.Certificate of Identity containing Name, Address, and Photo issued by Recognized Educational Institution signed by Head of Institute on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update
45.Certificate of identity containing Name, DOB, and Photograph issued by Employees' Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update
Key points to remember before updating address details in Aadhaar Card
In order to update the address details in Aadhaar Card, one needs to keep the below points in mind before submitting an application for the same.
- Self Service Update Portal (SSUP) allows Aadhaar cardholders to update their address online.
- You must have registered your mobile number with your Aadhaar before making an update online or offline through Self Service Update Portal (SSUP). Alternatively, you can go to the nearest Permanent Enrolment centre with the above-mentioned documents in case you have not linked your mobile number with Aadhaar.
- If you are updating using the Self Service Update Portal (SSUP)., you will be required to upload legitimate scanned copies of PoA documents as listed above.
- You can update/correct your address in any language, namely Assamese, Bengali, English, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Odia, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu, in addition to English.
- You'll get a URN (Update Request Number) in the format 0000/00XXX/XXXXX on your registered mobile number via SMS. You can track the status of your updated Aadhaar using this URN and your Aadhaar number.
- As defined under https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/ssup/instruction, the document you submit for address update must be valid, must be on behalf of the name submitting the update request, and scanned copies uploaded must be clear and colorful. Failure to comply with all of these will result in the rejection of your update request.
Steps to update Aadhaar Card address online
By following the steps listed below one can update his or her address details in Aadhaar Card online:
- Visit https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/ssup/ and click on ‘Proceed to Update Aadhaar'
- Now enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number, required CAPTCHA code, and click on ‘Send OTP'.
- You will now get a 6 digit one-time password on your registered mobile number which you need to enter under the section ‘Enter OTP' for verification.
- Now click on ‘Login' and your Aadhaar specifics will be displayed on your device screen.
- Go to the address section and change your address to the new one.
- Upload any of the 32 POA documents for authentication and click on ‘Submit' to complete the procedure.
Dear Resident, the Address Validation Letter facility has been discontinued until further notice. Kindly request your address update using another valid PoA document from the list https://t.co/BeqUA0pkqL— Aadhaar (@UIDAI) August 6, 2021